Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSSQLServer Service not starting (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atchett

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
Hi,

SQL Version = 7.0
O/S = Windows NT 4.0 SP6a (With security Rollup Package)

You may or may not have read my post on Friday 'Lost ability to connect after SP4' which Rishi kindly helped with but to no avail. Since that problem persisted with little chance of getting it sorted I (I reinstalled the NT Service packs and security updates) I decided to reinstall SQL Server 7.0. Backuped up all of the databases inc master et al. And uninstalled SQL. Once I had reinstalled my connection issue had been solved (see post mentioned above) but my database would not now restore giving the different sort order error. I resinstalled again, after trying to rebuild the master database using rebuildm.exe (didn't work at all saying file in use even when service was stopped etc!), and choosing the relevant sort order for the backued up data I tried to restore the data again and promptly lost the connection to the SQL Server with an ODBC SQLState: 01000 ConnectionRead(recv()) Error. Is it just me that is having these annoying problems with SQLServer.
Can anyone help at all? It's getting to be a real problem now!

Cheers,

JB

P.S. I didn't do th original SQLServer install. It was done by "professionals" who chose to do a custom install choosing a non default sort order!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back