Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSSQL 2008 database mirroring error: 1418 - any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samengr

Technical User
Feb 14, 2008
GB
Hi

I am using MS SQL Server 2008 on MS Windows Server 2003.

While attempting to mirror two sql servers without a witness server, the following error kept coming through right at the end:

The server network address "TCP://MOSSSQL-B.mycompany.com:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error:1418)

I checked that both endpoints were created and on/started. I can ping both servers from the other server. I can telnet both servers on 1433 and 5022 both sides work.

I am following these steps .....

1. Created a new database named it as testmirror.
3. Right clicked on the database Tasks-backup-BackupType--Full--Ok created testmirror.bak
4. Right clicked on the database Tasks-backup-BackupType--Transactional Log--Ok created testmirror-Transaction Log backup (testmirror.trn)

5. Copied this testmirror.bak from my system to the Mirror Server.

6. Right click on Mirror Server Database--Restore Database --Manually wrote down the ToDatabase
7. Selected from device and selected the added the copied backup file
8. Performed a restore (with no recovery) -- selected the relevant backup--checked the checkbox on restore

(Did it individually for backup and transactional log)

9. After going through security wizard When I start mirroring on principal server for testmirror DB. I am getting this error

The server network address "TCP://MOSSSQL-B.mycompany.com:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error:1418)

I have tested the network connectivity with ping and telnet. I was able to telnet on both ports 1433 and 5022 on both machines. I double checked the connectivity with netstat on other server.

I don't know what I am doing wrong?

I tried following things

1. I used local system Administrator accounts when i was connecting to the mirror server in security wizard. but no joy....

2. I created mirroring login on both SQL Servers and gave sysadmin role to "mirroring" login .... bot no joy :-(

As mentioned here

I followed

Step 1) system Firewall should not block SQL Server port.

Step 2) Go to Computer Management >> Service and Application >> SQL Server 2005 Configuration >> Network Configuration
Enable TCP/IP protocol. Make sure that SQL SERVER port is by Default 1433.

Just to make sure follow one more step which may or may not be necessary.

Step 3) Go to Computer Management >> Service and Application >> SQL Server 2005 Configuration >> Client Configuration
Enable TCP/IP protocol.

but again no joy .... still the same error - 1418 :-(

Any help will really be appreciated ....

Many thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back