Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSSQL 2005 Express reinstall sa password error

Status
Not open for further replies.

RottPaws

Programmer
Mar 1, 2002
US
MS SQL Server 2005 Express was installed on our SBS server as part of TimeClock Plus 4.2 that was not working. Both were having problems, so I removed them through the Control Panel Add/Remove Software tool.

I'm trying to reinstall, but when the SQL Server 2005 Express installation gets to
Product: SQL Server Database Services
it displays the following error:

The sa password must meet SQL Server password policy requirements. For strong password guidelines, see Authentication Mode, in SQL Server Books Online.

It never gives me the opportunity to set the sa password. It's almost as if the old sa password (which no one knows) has persisted through the uninstall and reinstall process.

I've searched for days, but haven't been able to stumble upon the right words to find something that tells me what to do. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

_________
RottPaws

If you don't report a problem, I probably won't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back