Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSS SMTP mail delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpetilli

Technical User
May 17, 2011
US
I have a 5.1 MM with 2 MAS Servers and 1 MSS. We don't backend our system with Exchange and use SMTP mail to deliver email notification of the VM. We typically see a 3-5 minutes turn around from the time a message is left to the actual time the email is delivered to the user. Some messages, for whatever reason take a bit longer. Is there a way to improve/shorten this time frame in the system ?

If you look in the SMTP out log does it show the delay in the MSS sending it or is it your smtp relay / Firewall that is causing it? If the SMTP log show it going out right away then the only thing it can be is your firewall ot SMTP relay.

I don't think it is the MSS.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

in subscriber activity log I see a user gets a message at.. say 10:00.. in the smtp out log it's not going out until 10:03/10:05 for example. Never immediate. This definitely within the MM environment.

I see a section in the MSS of 'mail options' and the bottom field says 'check for mail every'. Mine is set for 5 minutes.

It is very rare that this would not be sent out immediately but you can change it to 30 seconds and wait 5 minutes and then test it. It will not change the timer until the current 5 minute cycle is past.

Ken Means

I'd be interested in knowing how this gets sent out immediately. There's not one email notification that is sent shorter than 3 minutes. I can send an email from my gmail account that gets to me almost instantly and these servers are all in house. I read the description of that setting and basically it says 'if mail isn't able to be sent immediately it looks at that timer'. Is this the only place in the system I can look?

Yes it is. If you can post part of the smtp in and out log. Are you getting anything in the logs ?

Ken Means

Yea, I get tons of things in the logs. I use the SMTP Out log to verify the system sends messages out to the users.

Here are a few entries..

Yea, I get tons of things in the logs. I use the SMTP Out log to verify the system sends messages out to the users.

It looks like a whole lot of retries to connect to your mail relay server.

Ken Means

Those connect retries were due to incorrect email addresses that were setup for the email notification. These were since corrected. I had AVAYA look at this and there were a few messages stuck in queue, that were deleted. I also changed that mail options setting down to seconds and this 3 minute delay is still present. I take that back a second. Some have arrived in a minute or 2, but nothing consistent. The argument is that I can send a message from my gmail account, which is outside the network faster than these internal boxes.

So even after you had the Que cleared it is showing a 2 or 3 minute delay in sending in the SMTP log ?

So in the SMTP in log you see the message was sent to xyz a 1:00 PM but the SMTP OUT log is showing that the Notify Me was sent a 1:03 PM right ? I am looking a some systems we have in the field and they all show a 1 second difference from the time the inbound is sent and the time the outbound is sent.

May be some odd IP stack issue but would have to see it for myself. Are you at the latest SP ?

Ken Means

For my tests.. I log into my VM box, record and send a message to myself. The Message Light comes on instantly. I wait for the email to appear (about 3 mins) and check the contents of the email, which shows the time the message was left. I then go into the MSS on the SMTP Out log and find the entry. The entry is definitely minutes after the time the message was left. Because of this it eliminates the corporate email system as the delay.

most recent example. email notification appeared in my inbox at 12:52. Contents of the that message show a new vm was left at 12:48. The SMTP Out Log shows 12:51:38. Subscriber activity shows the new msg at 12:48.

This system has been like this since late 2007 starting with v3.1. It is now running 5.1 on Patch 3. The CTO decided to complain about this after all this time.

It sounds like something is just not programed right or something is mismatched but did you say you do or don't have a mail gateway setup in the MSS ?

Ken Means

The only other section relating to SMTP was the SMTP Options with the incoming/outgoing sessions. Those are currently set to 24/8.

There is nothing configured in the External Hosts section

You may want to setup a external host and see if that makes it work faster.

Ken Means

Will that require any interruption or something I can just put in there from the email server team?

Not service interrupting just add a host and then add it under the mail tab as us this server to relay all outbound.

Ken Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back