Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSS BKRST037 Event Causing MT Backup Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish1Pat

Vendor
Sep 26, 2006
MM R2 w/ MSS-H S3400
MAS B/U completes OK - no problems at all (attended or unattended).
MSS B/U process completes OK (per the B/U log), yet in the middle of the log an event turns up each time the MASDailyBackup.bkf file is written to the DVD-RAM disk (attended or unattended). The event is BKRST037 which raises an alarm for MT BACKUP 1.
We have swapped out the DVD-RAM disk and are trying a virgin DVD-RAM disk next. The BKRST037 is an undocumented (that I could find) event so it makes it slightly harder to resolve.
I presume the error in the Admin log referencing the hard drive is actually pointing to the DVD-RAM, since that is the process underway at the time of the event.

Alarm Log:

Alarm Log
Status
App Resource Location Alarm Alm Ack Alarmed Resolved Resolved
Type Code Lvl Date Time Date Time Reason
MT BACKUP 1 MIN Y 12/14/09 03:25 12/14/09 03:34 MAINT

Administrator's Log:

Administrator's Log
Status
Date Time App Event ID Cnt Message
12/14/09 03:25:34 MT BKRST037 1 Error writing to hard drive
12/14/09 03:34:50 MT BKRST001 1 FULL-AUTO BACKUP completed successfully

In the backup logfile, the error shows:

/backup/mas/backups/mas/MASDailyBackup.bkf
/bin/acpio: write error: Input/output error
Error writing /mnt/cdrom/bk_data/vm-samba/System-Data//backup/mas/backups/mas/MASDailyBackup.bkf to hard drive
/backup/mas/backups/mas/MASDailyBackup.bkf
/bin/acpio: /mnt/cdrom/bk_data/vm-samba/System-Data//backup/mas/backups/mas/MASDailyBackup.bkf not created: newer or same age version exists

The timestamp of the MASDailyBackup.bkf file in the MSS is current (each day). Of course, the DVD-RAM disk gets formatted with each B/U.

All ideas welcome as to why the MSS is kicking out an event in the middle of the backup process.

Pat

It looks like the error is saying that it already has a MAS backup file on the DVD by the same name and date.

What time do you have the MAS backup running?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Thanks Ken!
MAS backup runs nightly @ 2300 hrs.
I understand your statement it may already have a MAS backup file already on the DVD-RAM with the same date and time. My response: the DVD gets formatted with each run of backup. So how and when is the MAS backup file getting written the first time? Why would the MSS backup routine try twice to write a MAS backup file?

Pat

How big is the MASDailyBackup.bkf backup file?

Chuck
RCT Technologies

It does sound odd but i was pointing out just what the error is saying.

If you look at the view attributes of the backup media does it show a clean backup or a bad one?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

I will check on the file size and the attributes of the media and advise in a couple of days.
Thanks,
Pat

Unfortunately, remote access to the MM system has not been working. Once remote access is restored, I will follow up here.
Thanks,
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back