Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Msql and access pusername and password

Status
Not open for further replies.

madvalpreston

Technical User
Apr 7, 2011
GB
Hi

I am using MySql as a backen and Access 2010 as a front end, which is working reasonably well.

I would like to have a username password log in for the databse, and the login name be registered as currentuser.

does anyone know how I can achieve this.

1. I have the table in mysql with ID, Username, position and passowrd fields. Is there a way to make passwords ******* within the table.
2. Does anyone know how I can make the prompt for surname and password happen when a user loads (I have tried the access way but that seems to require Access own user set up and ignores Mysql table)

Any ideas or good links to examples please

Thanks

This sounds more like an Access question, as in, "how does one make/create a username and password dialog for a remote database using Access?"

Steve.

In earlier versions of MS Access, you could have used the MS Access 'MDW' file to secure the Access frontend.

Then, using the Access Admin function, you would define the users and their passwords.

The MDW security was removed in MS Access 2010 version, so to use this feature, you would need to go back to an earlier version of MS Access

The other method would be to build your own user security, stored in a table in the MySQL backend.

Regarding Passwords in the MySQL backend, possibly there is a way to hine or encript the password in MySQL, but in the MS Access Front end, you can just use a Password Mask or type to hide the values from the users.

Hope This Helps,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Accounting Solutions - with free source code
Access Consultants forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back