Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSQ security 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dybevick

MIS
Jan 4, 2000
US
Visit site
Does anyone have even a shred of documentation on how to wade through MSQ020, or MSQ program security in general?

No response from Mincom? I have some MIMS documentation on securing object applications although we are still on 4.1. Have been reviewing it for upgrade. I would be glad to share with you what I have. Contact me.

Last week we got a copy of a 46 page document titled: MIMS OE Security/MIMS OE 4.3 /Version 2.0<br>
<br>
It discusses both object and non-object security and touches on the objects displayed in MSQ020, but gives no specifics on which objects are used by which modules. I am still left to informed trial and error.<br>
<br>
Which document do you have?<br>
<br>
I can't find a contact number in your profile, else I would have called by now.

The MIMS/Extender training documentation and Developers Guides have several large documents detailing security.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have Connector, you also get documentation on how to access the various business objects, which will include the Security-related objects.&nbsp;&nbsp;Perhaps you can ask your account manager for a copy of these?

Unfortunately I only became aware recently of this forum, so I'm just catching up on some of the previous threads. It seems to me that you don't have the Mincom MSQ security documentation available to you. If you still require documentation for the MSQ security, please let me know, and I can forward this to you.<br><br>If you do have the doco already, and need more information can you let me know, as that means that our doco isn't hitting the mark.<br><br> <p>Greg Davies<br><a href=mailto:gregd@mincom.com>gregd@mincom.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Vice President MIMS Customer Support<br>
Mincom, Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Thanks all.<br><br>As I mentioned above, I do have some documentation.<br><br>Below is a list of questions I came up with some time ago. I have answered some of them myself by trial and error, but better literature would have made this easier.<br><br>Especially note item 10.<br><br>Things I'd like to be able to read about:<br><br>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;Explanation and examples of how a single class relates to multiple applications.<br>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;List of classes and the attributes and methods that are associated with them.<br>3.&nbsp;&nbsp;List of the default security levels for each attribute and method.<br>4.&nbsp;&nbsp;Discussion of when it is appropriate to disable a particular functionality by adjusting attribute security rather than method security.<br>5.&nbsp;&nbsp;Discussion of the redundancies on the treeview control on the MSQ020 screen. (Are the class attributes in the Class node the same as the Attributes in the various Application nodes?)<br>6.&nbsp;&nbsp;The text of the &quot;Security Procedures&quot; document mentions the possibility of MS Excel extracting data from MIMS. Where can I see an example of this or read a discussion of the technique that would allow this?<br>7.&nbsp;&nbsp;Explanation of how and why Reference code security should be used and how it relates to user access to MIMS.<br>8.&nbsp;&nbsp;A better explanation of how to copy an object security profile over an existing profile or into a new profile.<br>9.&nbsp;&nbsp;URLs or documents for the links at the end of the &quot;Security Procedures&quot; document. (The links go nowhere.)<br>10. Documentation of how each attribute and method maps to a text field, command button, or menu choice on a user screen

Here is a specific example of a problem I am trying to solve:<br><br>Our intention is for all work orders to be autonumbered. To this end we tried setting the Work Order No. attribute of the Work Order class to read-only. This succesfully prevents the user from entering anything in the work order number field while creating a work order, and does not prevent the system from assigning and displaying a woek order.<br><br>An undesireable side effect of this, however, is that it becomes impossible to change the work group to which a work order is assigned. Attempts to save a work order after changing the work group fail and return the message &quot;2615 - Work Order required for this action.&quot;<br><br>There is no doubt that this setting is causing the problem. Work order modifications can be saved, the attribute changed, then failure messages appear. Switching the attribute will allow modifications to be saved again after a user logs out and back in again (clearing cache may also be necessary.)<br><br>What settings must be used to both prevent a user from modifying the work order field on the new work order detail screen, while simultaneously allowing modifications to a work order to be saved.

This is bug with msq620.&nbsp;&nbsp;When the work order is read only, it is not passing the work order to the backend - it is only passing the work group which is why the error message is displayed.&nbsp;&nbsp;Please create a work order and assign it to the MIMS Helpdesk in Denver.

Everyone,
I find it is very easy to navigate through the MSQ020. The MINCOM consultants taught me once and it seems that pretty much easy for me. I do not have the documentation but I believe, you can find the answers in the Info Pack CD. I'm using version 4.3.1.2 so I think, all solutions can be found there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back