Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSQ Scripting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin2

Programmer
Apr 19, 2001
AU
When doing a search in an MSQ, the results are displayed in a grid.
Only the first 20 results are shown and the next 20 are fetched when you try to scroll to row 21.
This is quite acceptable behaviour for online use.

However, our users have expressed a need to export the result grid to excel and Mincom have not provided an export or copy to clipboard function. I have attempted to script it.
I have found that I can script the MSQ620 and loop though the output instances, extracting the values. The script will retrieve as many output instances as are available - if the user has scolled down to row 21 then 40 rows are retrieved.
The problem is that they may want thousands of rows exported and I can't see a way to trigger the next fetch in script.
When scripting with BOC, its done with MIMSX_FLAG_RESTART.
Has anyone done this with MSQs?

Martin2
We had the same requirements as you and Mincom supplied us with a product called Quick Reports which allow you to take total results from selected MSQ searches views and either print them or export them to excell.

Your Mincom Account Rep should be able to give you details

TD

Quick Reports is part of a reporting software called CorVu. It is a great reporting software. We have used it for all of our custom reports. We have trained many end users to create their own queries and simple reports. Mincom use to market the software as MIMSVu.

Martin2,
you should be able to write a simple extract using VB and excel. Mincom can provide you with sample excel spreadsheets that use the connector to extact data from MIMS. The loop extract can then be coded specifically together with the selection criteria. Alternatively you can use CorVu and have the extract parameter driven.

Actually, we are using corvu quite extensively
We are also using MIMS Connector to load and extract data.
The reason I am looking at MSQ scripting, is that the MSQ already provides a rich interface. It provides a variety of search methods, popup parameters and is (hopefully) familiar to the users. They are able to enter search parameters and have the results returned to the grid.
However, Mincom have neglected to provide export functionality - most applications with a grid output provide at least a copy to clipboard method.
I was hoping to be able to give the users a method of getting the grid output into Excel.
Yes I could use connector - but I would then have to try to recreate all of the search parameter niceties provided by the MSQ.
It becomes even worse with corvu where I would need to develop a separate query for each type of search ie by date, workgroup, equipment etc.
And if I I then need to supply the same functionality for purchase orders, it takes development effort all over again.
Alternatively, using an Excel script to start up an MSQ and then extract the Grid results is very simple. Also when changing it from MSQ620 to MSQ140, only one line is changed, everything else is identical.
Its very easy script to write, but the only thing I cant do is programatically fetch the next block.

Martin,

I would suggest using CorVu with a range of user prompts for the variables that you listed.
In this fashion you would require only the one report and you could list the criteria required or leave as a wild card if required.

Rgds

Oz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back