Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSP4 reboot query

Status
Not open for further replies.

coposg

Programmer
May 28, 2003
AU
Hi guys,

We have a MPS4 farm on Windows 2000 Server SP4.
I have a scheduled task on each server that reboots servers daily, but won't work on one server. No-one can connect in the morning, but if I re-run tsshutdn from another server in the farm, the server reboots and everything comes up fine.
In the event log, there are application popup events at the time the reboot should happen like this one:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 30/11/2006
Time: 5:00:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXX
Description:
Application popup: SYSTEM SHUTDOWN : System is shutting down in 5 seconds.

I am using TSSHUTDN and have tried via a batch file and scheduled task and neither seems to work.
I have searched this forum and ensured (amongst other things) our data store is available at the time of rebooting and that no-one is logged on to the console of the computer.

Any hints, tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

This kix script works for me, get kix installed and here is the code.

Code:
;$ReturnCode = SendMessage("dayriss" , "Server is being rebooted in 10 Minutes ;please ;save work. Server will be backup in 20 minutes.)
;If $ReturnCode = 0
;   ? "Message has been sent.."
;Endif

shutdown("","Mjb-srv001 is being rebooted",600,1,1)

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Thanks I might give that a try over the weekend, any good documentation you can suggest for Kix?

Steve

Yes it comes with a manual and its free. I likes it others use wshell, I am kindof converting slowly.

Cheers
Scott

Enigma,

Thanks for the response.
I have two IBM 8843 blade servers and one HP Proliant ML350 G4 server. The only server that reboots correctly is one of the blades, and I have tried running reboot scripts locally and remotely for the other two.
I use tsshutdn.exe as it seems to be the preferred option and works on one server but maybe I need to try something different on the other two servers.

Thanks
Steve

Thanks for the link enigma, we don't have that software installed, I will keep looking and hopefully get to the bottom of the frustration!

Thanks
coposg

Hmmm just had another thought, is there not a reboot schedule in the Data Store for PS4. Automatice reboot schedule. I think there is.

Cheers
Scott

I think that schedule is in the Resource Manager, which is only available in Enterprise Edition, ours is Advanced edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back