Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Msn Messenger at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theoneandonly

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2002
BE
Hi everybody,

Somebody installed msn messenger once, and even if everything (program, reg keys,...) has been removed, it keeps trying to launch messenger at each users startup...as the .exe has been deleted, everyone have the error message :

"Cannot find the file ...msmsgs.exe" (or one of its components), make sure the path and filename are correct..."

Anyone with the same kind of experience ?

Thanks

How did you remove the application. did you uninstall it or did you manually remove the files, reg entries and so on?

Hi again
Found this info on Maybe this will help you.

Unfortunately, this error appears every time the user logs onto an NT computer with a roaming profile that was updated by logging onto an XP computer. The only way to prevent the error is to delete the string value:

MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background

from

HKEY_USERS\SID of User\Software\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Run

Hope this helps

/Hof

I uninstalled the program trough control panel, but some folders and files where still there...I removed it manually and removed also the remaining reg keys..

Yep,

I noticed that key, and removed it also. But it's only into HKCU (for each user) and have to be taken somewhere, am I right ? However, nothing about msmsgs into ...windows\Run, or other hives...

Make sure you remove any shortcuts in the start menu for each user and in the "All Users" folder. Could be trying to run it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back