Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSN Messenger & Socks 5 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

todjk69

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2003
US
We've just recently installed ISA 2000 Server. In testing it's use, I've discovered a problem that I cannot seem to find a cure for.

The problem relates to the MSN Messenger for Exchange Server 2000 client. When I change a Win2K Pro's proxy settings to use the ISA Server, the MSN Messenger suddenly logs off. When I log back on, I am greeted with the following MSN Messenger error screen:

"SOCKS 5 proxy authentication failed. Check the SOCKS 5 settings for User name and Password on the Connection tab"

Well, I go in and change the Socks 5 settings in MSN Messenger and the problem still exists.

Thinking that I may have an "outdated" MSN Messenger client, I downloaded the most current version, which is 4.7. Same problem.

Please help. Any advise is welcome!

Hi,

ISA server can't support socks 5, you need to configure your msn in HTTP port & leave the check box empty its works.

go do it.

bye

Found this post while trying to find a solution to my own SOCKS 5 error message when trying to connect to my Exchange Messenger Service with MSN Messenger and have found the answer given here to be lacking in my situation.

The correct answer is a configuration change in IE, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, Advanced. You need to have your domain name listed in the Exceptions box, if your domain name is mydomain.com then you should have *.mydomain.com listed there.

You can create/propagate this setting automatically by creating a _rvp record in your DNS server if you are running a true MS W2K domain and KB article 319758 explains how this is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back