Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSMQ help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate007

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
GB
Hello,

I am rather new to MSMQ. Could not find a more nearby forum.
I have a PEC on NT 4.0. THe Queue system works fine on my PEC. What if a client running windows 95/95 with network support is to connect to the queue(in the PEC with proper permissions)??Does the client need to have MSMQ installed..
Please could someone help me out

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes unless you are accessing an application running under IIS. From memory you can install MSMQ on 95 from the NT4 Option Pack CD. I think 98 had its own version on the product CD (\tools\pws rings a bell). You'll probably want to select dependent client if the 95 machines are permanently attached to the network, or independent client if they use dial-up-networking. Chris Buckley

Hello Buckcs,
Thanx
But installing MSMQ "again" on the clients does not seem to be useful , right??( i have about 20 client machs on win98) I was wondering if i could use a system where all clients could connect to a central message server(or queues), connect to specific queues and then retrieve or send messages.
I thought of using sockets, but, thought MSMQ would be a better choice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My main aim is to maintain fluent communication(for my message flow system)

Binith

pirate007 -

There's two parts to MSMQ -- the server, and the client software. The server acts as the message store to ensure reliable delivery (I think it uses SQL 6.5 internally).

The client provides the programming interfaces so your programs can connect to your Queues.

So, yes, your Windows 95/98 machines need to have this client piece installed. It comes standard with Win2k, and was added to NT4 somewhere about SP3 or SP5. Follow buckcs's directions.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back