Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSM 422 and multiple VLANs for a VSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManagerJay

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2000
US
Is it possible to use multiple VLANs in a VSC?

We have a Mitel phone system which requires access to the default VLAN and the Phone VLAN when obtaining an IP address. I have not found anything in the documentation stating I can do this, but hoping someone has some experience and can send me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jay

Your Mitel phones do NOT require access to your default VLAN, only the voice VLAN. Not sure where you are getting that from?

Starting to think I am confused more than I thought.

When I watch the phone boot, it obtains an IP address, and then releases it. Then obtains another IP address.

Why does the phone release the first IP address?

Thanks.

Because your phone is booting up (natively) on VLAN 1. It is getting an IP addresses from VLAN-1 and then learning it needs to go to a different VLAN (the voice VLAN). It releases teh first IP (from VLAN-1) so it can go over to the voice VLAN and get an IP address from that VLAN.

Am interested in the answer to an offshoot to Jay's original question. Does anyone out there have any information on trunking multiple vlans to an MSM wireless access point? This thread was my only pertinent hit searching on the subject.

In our case, we have an MSM750 controller that supports about 80 MSM320 and MSM422 access points on a mid sized college campus. We currently have an open access unsecured VSD that users access via their student login credentials. We want to add a secured VSD on a separate vlan where our staff users can gain access to our staff network resources via preregistered MAC addresses for the device held in a central database and pushed to the DHCP config file.

Needless to say, I can't find much on the subject of trunking multiple vlans to an MSM wireless access point.

Assigning traffic to a VLAN
You can assign wireless traffic to a VLAN for an entire VSC or for individual users.
Note A VLAN that is assigned to a user overrides a VLAN assigned by a VSC or by the default VLAN.

Assigning a VLAN to a VSC
You can map each VSC to its own VLAN. Wireless clients that connect to a VSC with VLAN support are bridged to the appropriate VLAN. Address allocation and security measures are the responsibility of the target network to which the VLAN connects.
Note You cannot assign the same VLAN ID to the default VLAN and to a VLAN that is mapped to a virtual service community.
For information on how to assign a VLAN to a VSC, see Egress VLAN on page 2-10.

Assigning VLANs to individual users
You can assign a VLAN to an individual user by setting attributes in the user’s RADIUS account. Restrictions are as follows: ? A user cannot be assigned to a VLAN that is set as the default VLAN on port 1 or port 2. ? A user can only be assigned to a predefined VLAN. ? Only applicable to 802.1X client stations. (Not applicable to MAC authentication.) For more information see Configuring user accounts on a RADIUS server on page 6-5.

VLAN bridging
If you assign a VLAN ID to more than one interface, the VLAN is bridged across the interfaces.
For example, if you create the VLANs shown in the following table, all VLAN traffic with ID 50 is bridged across all these interfaces. If you create a VSC and assign the egress VLAN to any of these VLANs, output from the VSC can be sent to any interface.

VLAN configuration
To view and configure VLAN definitions, select Network > Ports and look in the VLAN configuration box:
To add a VLAN, click Add New VLAN. The Add/Edit VLAN page opens.
Define VLAN settings according to the information provided in the following sections.

VLAN support
General ? Port: Select the physical interface with which the VLAN is associated.
? VLAN ID: Specify a VLAN identifier. If the VLAN is assigned to port 1 or port 2, you can also define a range of VLANs in the form X-Y, where X and Y can be 1 to 4094. For example, 50-60. This enables a single VLAN definition to accept traffic for one or more VLAN IDs, making it easy to manage a large number of contiguously assigned VLANs. You can define more than one VLAN range, but each range must be distinct.
Note VLANS with ranges cannot be used for VSC egress mapping and cannot be assigned an IP address.
? VLAN name: Specify a name to identify the VLAN definition on the AP. This name has no operational significance.
Assign IP address via
Specify how the VLAN obtains an IP address, as follows:
? DHCP client: Available only on VLANs that are assigned to port 1 or port 2. The VLAN obtains its IP address from a DHCP server on the same VLAN. There is no support for obtaining a default gateway from the DHCP server.
? Static: Enables you to manually assign an IP address to the VLAN. If you select this option, you must specify a static IP address, Mask, and Gateway.
? None: Specifies that this VLAN has no IP address. Use this option when the VLAN ID is defined as a range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back