Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

msi8042 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdunderhill

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
GB
One of our users is getting a message that says "One or more drivers or devices have failed at startup", I checked the Event log and it shows that msi8042 keyboard port is the culprit.

Everything works fine but this error is an annoyance for him when he has to click ok every time he logs on.

Is it a case of stopping the driver under Device manager? or adding a different value to registry or something?

Thanks for your help

Just stop it in Device Manager. (Set it to Manual startup). [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Well done, your listed on the right in the experts section!

I will try that in a moment to see if that works under manual and let you know how I got on!

Thanks for the reply

Jamie

hallo jamie

i had this problem also. try to install the default mouse driver.

stefano ;o)

Right I had a go at setting msi8042 to Manual, but that didn't get rid of the prob

Found an old Intellimouse driver, unninstalled that and got something different shown in event log at startup:

kbdclass
mouclass

obviously keyboard and mouse drivers

msi8042 is no longer in the driver list, it must have been removed with the intellimouse

the user is satisfied with his PC though, everything appears to work correctly so were prob leave it there until we can go to the site and check it out.

I am currently performing this remotely and it's a pain when getting disconnected etc

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, hopefully I can return the favour one day!

Jamie

hallo ;o)

Î'm going to tell you another thing. once i reinstalled a hole system on a HP Kayak because of this problem. so if you have a brand machine go to there website and download the propriate driver.

by

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back