Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSI Motherboard Problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCat11

Technical User
Jul 23, 2005
US
Hello,

I just finished putting together this computer and when I try to power on, the fans kick on for a split second and then thats it, nothing turns on. I tested the power supply with a tester I have and it passed so I know the Power Supply is good. I checked all my connections on the board and everything seems fine. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Nick

Ok, I found the problem, I tighted a screw to tight and it was shorting the board. Is it possible I did any damage? Here is my next problem. It's giving me an error on boot saying "floppy disks failed (40). What causes this?

Nick

Ok, if I bypass the flopyy drive error and begin Windows setup, it says it cannot find any hard disk. Everything is connected, how come it won't recognize? Thanks

Nick

You probally killed the board when it grounded out. Double check that the hard disc are setup right. Also make sure there enabled in bios. If it still does not work request for an rma with either msi or company your ordered the board from. By the way nice choice, I personally prefer MSI motherboards.

Hey electronics,

Thanks for the reply. The board is recognizing the CD Player and the chip but just not the hard drive. Do you think the board is still shot? Thanks

Nick

Another note,

When I go into BIOS there is only an option for an IDE hookup and not for a Serial ATA Drive that I am using. Should I try a drive that uses IDE Cables?

Nick

As for ata drives I dont know much about them so I would refer to the manual on it. I would try an ide drive just to see if that works if you have one.

Ok,

I plugged in an ide drive and it recognized it. So that means the motherboard is ok right? Thanks again for all your help.

Nick

Possibly, read your manual on what it says to do for sata. I would help you on sata but as I said I dont know anything on it so im not going to act like I do lol. Also might want to check for a bios update. Since everything else is working I think your motherboard most likely is good. Just be sure to read the manual and see what it says.

I'm guessing that you haven't installed your Mobo software yet, right? I've found that you have to do this and then possibly make changes in cmos before SATA gets recognized. I agree with electronicsfreak, read your manual.

Two issues:
It's giving me an error on boot saying "floppy disks failed (40)
You have probably got the ribbon cable the wrong way around (twist closest to the drive and red wire to pin 1 on the drive) or you have bent one or more pins on the drive.

Problem 2:
Cannot find hard disc.
Most SATA Hard drives require that you install SATA controller drives right at the beginning of XP install.
Setup says something like "Press F6 to install third party drivers" at this point you should press F6 and have the SATA controller drivers on floppy disk and in the drive.
These drivers are either supplied "ready to go" on a floppy disk or you have to extract them yourself onto a floppy disk off the supplied CDrom (motherboard disk)

Once this driver is installed your SATA drive will be recognised as being installed and so XP will continue setup.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I don't really understand why your motherboard should short because a screw was over tight? the trick when fitting the motherboard is to centralize all the brass stand off posts by pushing the motherboard one way or the other, use just one screw to hold the motherboard in the correct position.
Once you are sure ALL the screw holes are properly alighned with centers of the posts you can fit the remainding screws.
If you follow this method you should never have a problem with screws or posts grounding out to the PCB.
Also note* use screws with small shoulders so they are less likely to ground to the PCB.
As a side note* when locating the motherboard into the I/O backplate there are often "grounding fingers" that tend to bend into either the ethernet or USB ports, you just have to be aware to bend these correctly on top of the metal port housing etc.
Martin

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. As far as the SATA, when I hit F-6 nothing happens, it just continues to the XP Install and then tells me no hard disk is recognized. So I went to Staples and bought an IDE Hard Drive because this is a bday gift for my sis for today. As a side note, when I hit F-6 should a different screen pop-up right away? Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Nick

NickCat11
Sorry to have to say this but you have probably just got your F-Lock turned ON so none of the F keys are working.
Press F-Lock key to re-enable and load SATA drivers after pressing F6 on initial XP install.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back