Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSI and Windows File Protection madness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZK

MIS
Oct 2, 2000
GB
Hi

I have used WFWI to package Service Pack 2 for Internet Explorer 5.5. I did this in the following way:

I made a pre-scan of the PC (which has IE 5.5 Service Pack 1) using WFWI. Then I updated IE to Service Pack 2. Then I made a post-scan of the PC, and the changes were packaged as an MSI file. So this MSI is effectively IE 5.5 Service Pack 2.

However, when I run the MSI to update IE 5.5 to Service Pack 2, Windows File Protection says I cannot update protection system files and asks for Windows 2000 CD.

The annoying thing is, why didn't WFP give this error when I updated IE to SP2 in between the scans? (using the IE SP2 CD)

Any help appreciated
Thanks
ZK

To upgrade Internet explorer to a higher servicepack, it is not a good idea to do it with a snapshot. You can better use de IEAK from Microsoft to customize you upgrade/installation for the Internet explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back