Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSI 6728 Ver2 Poss Northbridge problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanSquirrel

Technical User
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have a system running an older MSI 865G Neo2-P motherboard.

A month or so ago I started receiving an error message at POST during the memory check stating that my "memory timings too tight". The system would then boot and all was well with the world!

This message started to bug me, and I set the memory timings manually. No errors at POST showed, and the system continued to run stably. Soon after I started to get problems (not fatal, but problems in Windows), and I moved the only memory module into the second slot on the board. Again, the problems disappeared.

Then last week the PC wouldn't even get to POST. I removed all the drives (1 sata hdd, 2 ide hdd and 2 optical), and still it wouldn't boot. I changed the PSU for a known good one, and still no dice. I also tried two different graphics cards. All that remained in the machine was the memory, mobo, processor, and a graphics card. I then tried removing the memory and replacing with 2 known good corsair modules. I also replaced the BIOS battery, and reconfigured the BIOS. This seemed to fix the problem, and I set about replacing the drives. All good..... Or so it would seem......

The next day I started getting system lockups and video corruption after around 10 mins of uptime. This happened with the RAM in single channel (slots 1 and 2 used), and dual channel modes (slots 1 and 3 used). I now have the RAM in slots 2 and 3, and the system worked overnight with no lockups (I will do a full stress test tomorrow).

The two issues that concern me are that the Northbridge chip seems to be very warm (not sure if it has always been that way though!), although MSI Corecenter software reports a reasonable system temperature (around 40c). The other concern is that the CPU fan was originally running through the case power from the front panel, and again MSI corecenter reported the CPU as being above 60c when idle and getting up towards 80c under light load. I seem to have resolved this by reattaching the CPU fan to the motherboard connector. The CPU now runs at 40-42c at idle.

Do you think something on the motherboard is failing? Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Rob

I would remove, clean and re-seat the CPU, but I will admit it sounds like a RAM issue. It's hard to tell since you did BOTH changes (RAM & CMOS) at the same time. Hint: When working on a PC, do only one change at a time, this way you'll know which one worked.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Cheers Tony,

Yeah, I know the one at a time bit, but it is my main PC, and I was a little frantic!

It's so much easier to be detached when I'm fixing a customers PC.

I will take your advice over reseating the CPU and cleaning the heatsink.... as soon as I can find my thermal compound....

I agree that it is quite likely a RAM issue, but what are your thoughts regarding the really quite hot Northbridge?

Cheers,

Rob.

but what are your thoughts regarding the really quite hot Northbridge?
well here are my thoughts, since the NB controls the MEM, it could be the culprit in this case...

you could direct a fan onto the NB cooler to see if that alleviates the problem...

also check if there is a BIOS update, as most often these involve fixes that incorporate correct RAM timings...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Hi Ben,

I've checked the BIOS, and I'm on the most up to date version according to the MSI website.

I'm beginning to think the NB is the problem, as I've had problems with two different sets of ram now. Perhaps a clean an reseat of the NB heatsink might be in order as well....

Thanks for your thoughts,

Rob

Also, doesn't the Northbridge control the graphics (AGP) as well?

Would that explain some of the choppy display, and no signal problems?

Cheers.

I think I have got to the root of the problem by accident!

After much mucking around with reseating the ram etc I changed the CPU fan power from the case front panel monitor, and back onto the motherboard. The machine has now run stable for the last four days. The MSI core center seems to adjust the fan speed as needed, and I've not seen the CPU go over 60c under heavy load.

I also plugged one of the case fans into the case CPU fan point, and it ran slower than it should. The LEDs also flickered when previously the remained constant (power from the mobo).

The RAM I have not tried reverting to the original positions, as I figure if it ain't broke anymore ;)

Cheers all,

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back