Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSGP 2010 and MS Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFinch

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2010
US
I have seen contradicting documentation regarding which versions of MS Office that MSGP 2010 will work with. I suspect that Microsoft prefers users to be running at least MS Office 2007, and preferably MS Office 2010. However, I can't imagine that MSGP 2010 would actually be "incompatible" with MS Office 2003. My best guess is that it sacrifices some functionality, but still co-exists. Does anyone know the details of this situation? Do potential users of MSGP 2010 have to upgrade to Office 2007 or 2010 in order to successfully install MSGP 2010? Or, is there documentation available somewhere that specifies what you sacrifice in features and functionality by remaining on Office 2003? Thanks.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'incompatible'. There are some features in GP2010 (and gp 10 for that matter) that do not work with native 2003. You have to at least have the 2007 viewer installed.

Suspects of incompatibility include:

Office Data Connections (.odc)
The new reporting through Word

It seems like exports from the NAV lists, SmartList and Export Solutions would still work.

They can co-exist on the same machine together, but I don't know about the functionality of the items listed above.

Kind regards,

Leslie

Since mainstream support for Office 2003 ended in April 2009 and GP 2010 came out in May 2010, I don't think that we're ever going to see any official documentation specifying what will not work when using Office 2003 with GP 2010.

You can certainly install GP 2010 with any version of Office present, or even with no Office installed, as it's not a pre-requisite.

I have seen some other discussions on this topic that might be of interest to you:

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2010
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back