Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

msg "too many edits in the document" in WORD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MushMouse

Programmer
Mar 29, 2004
US
I have a 47 page document including a table of contents. When I try to edit it, I get this message & I can't edit it!
I defragmented my disk, so that's not the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Chances are you have track changes turned on. Under View, Toolbars, you need to turn on the Reviewing Toolbar and Accept or Reject changes.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Thanks for your time!

I checked it out. Track changes was off. In addition, when I turned on marking, I got a message saying "The document doesn't contain any comments or tracked changes".
Do you have any other suggestions?

I went to I was able to delete temp files, but when I tried to change my directory to where it said the spool files should be, the directory didn't exist.
I have 45.5 GB of free space on my c drive.
I'm still getting the error message in WORD.

A few things to consider

Tools, Options, Save tab; remove the allow fast saves check

Go through your entire document correcting spelling and grammar errors. Save the document, close and open it again.

Are you using more than 4 types of fonts in your document? If you are, it's an overkill.

What version of Word are you running?
What version of Windows are you running?
Where is your document?
Is it just the one document?

If you select everything in the document EXCEPT the final paragraph mark and copy it to a new document, can you then edit that new document?

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

Allow fast saves was not checked.
I use 4 levels in my table of contents.
Re spelling & grammar errors - it's a recipe book, so I don't think that would be applicable.
Re fonts - times new roman 10, 12, 14 & 16 with various bolds & heading indicators.
I'm using windows XP professional.
I'm using office xp professional 2002.
It's just this one document, but this is the only document in which I have a table of contents.... When I remove the table of contents, I seem to be OK, but I need the table of contents...

If removing TOC solves your problem then, you may have bookmarks that are causing the problem.

How many bookmarks do you have?

How big is you document?

I will re-state what Tony has mentioned above (a little differently)

Press Ctrl/End to go to the end of doc. Press delete key nad hold for a few seconds. Press backspace key to delete the last character of your doc. Retype last char of your doc. Save, close, open and see if problem persists.

I have no bookmarks.
The document is 41 pages long.
I tried pressing ctrl/end, deleting the last character & resaving.
Unfortunately, the problem persists.
Does anyone have time to look at the document?
It's a recipe book & I would gladly e-mail it over....

By the way, I split the document into 2 equal sized documents & was able to edit & create table of contents on each. But when it's all one document, it doesn't work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back