Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSG box for duplicate records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arob

Technical User
Jul 25, 2001
US
Have looked under validating data in the help and have had no success with my problem. I want to have a message box appear after a duplicate value is entered into a particular form feild. Basically I would like use an IF statement which if the ID number entered is a duplicate then display the message box. Any help would be appreciated as to what the If statement should contain.

In the before_update Event of the field enter the following code:

Private Sub yourfieldname_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

If DCount("yourfieldname", "yourtablename", "yourfieldname = '" & Me!yourfieldname & "'") > 0 Then
MsgBox "Duplicate ID number, please insert a unique ID number"
DoCmd.CancelEvent
End If

End Sub

HTH
Dave

This will loop through and check for a unique id number and will return to the field until a unique number is entered.

As an aside, you can put the following code in the 'Event' event of the field to remind users that it requires a unique ID number

Private Sub nameofyourfield_Enter()
MsgBox "You will have to enter a unique product number in this field. If the product number is a duplicate, the database will reject it and wait for another input."

End Sub

That worked like a charm, thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back