Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Msexcimc.exe 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernBoy

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
US
I have an Exchange 5.5sp4 server,and on occasion the Internet mail service stops. I receive the msexcimc.exe Exception access violation 0xc0000005 at address 0x0044bf88 or 0x0044bf0b (could be anything on the memory address. These are the 2 that I wrote down.) I checked Microsoft and google and couldn't find anything. The imcmsg.dll (v 5.5.2655.55) and the msexcimc.exe (v 5.5.2655.55)are current. This happens sparadicly. Sometimes it goes for weeks without the error, then it can happen 2 or 3 times in an 8 hour period. Ran the Windows update and applied the hot fix from Microsoft KB article #301690. Also did a defrag on the edb database. This has been going on for about 2 months and we need to get this resolved. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

I had this exact same problem this morning. The first time I saw it, I just rebooted the server. After coming back up, I got there error again within a minute of the IMC starting up. On the advice of some usenet articles, I checked for bad messages in the IMC queues, but didn't find anything.

Finally, I updated my MSEXCIMC.exe from v5.5.2653.19 to v5.5.2656.59. After applying that hotfix, it seems to be OK now. It's only been running for about 30 minutes, but before I was getting the error consistently after restarting the service.

Here is the link for the hotfix. The article attached to this hotfix does not apply to me, but whatever other updates are in this versino of the EXE file seems to have done the trick for me. I hope it helps!

--
George Sarlas

George, Thank you for the response. I called Microsoft since nobody was responding to my post, and after about 2 weeks trying different things, they came up with updating the MSEXCIMC file to 5.5.2653.19. The same as yours. Thanks again.

BernBoy

While not the exact same problem, I'm having a similar difficult issue with IMS all of sudden. This just started yesterday out of the blue where the Internet Mail Service would constantly restart itself every 3 - 5 minutes. I found a Google forum post where someone suggested checking for the bad message in the queue. I removed everything from the IMCDATA\out folder, restarted IMS, and everything seemed to work fine --- until about 4 hours later (after I had left for the evening of course) and it all started again overnight through this morning. Removed all the files from the \out folder again, restarted IMS, and it seems to be working at the moment - just don't know for how long.

I do notice, looking at the IMS configuration screen in Exch Admin, that I'm getting tons of emails accumulating in the Outgoing queue. I had around 2500 files sitting in my IMCDATA \out folder just this morning before I cleared it. I do have the option in IMS to Reroute based on authentication in order to prevent open relay (and it seems to work based on the "Relaying is prohibited" message I receive in tests. I'm wondering if a lot of messages in the Outgoing queue (due to spammers) can cause IMS to react this way?

I currently have an Exchange 5.5 Server w/ SP4 running on a Windows 2000 Server. My IMC file version is 5.5.2653.13

Thanks,
CarPathr

I'm having a similar problem that started over the weekend, it happened again around 4:30pm Monday and again TUesday morning around 10am. We are running on an NT4 server. When we get the excpetion error incoming email stops, we can still email internally. Restarting the server brings things back.

We had this problem as well. We believe it is now fixed. We fixed it by applying the MSExchange patch that tells Exchange Server not to send receipts to "non-delivery receipts". When I checked my DrWtsn32.log file, it seemed that msexcimc.exe was crashing trying to do a DNS lookup on a spam message that had bogus recipients. We have applied this patch and enabled "SuppressNDROptions" and our exchange server has been stable since.

Jim

After some research on this forum I did find the link that jimlavine mentioned regarding NDRs as a reverse spam attack. I called Microsoft today and received the hotfix (no charge for the call) and applied it this afternoon. It seemed to eliminate a huge number of the emails showing up in my outgoing queue and imcdata\out folder. But I still received a decent amount of those <> (no originator) emails in the outgoing queue. So I went ahead and unchecked the authenticated relay option and that seemed to get rid of most of them. Hopefully, the problem is fixed for now. Unfortunately, I thought the same thing yesterday until last night when IMS crashed again. So I'm crossing my fingers that it's finally fixed. I'm still getting some calls from users that their emails with attachments aren't making it through, so I don't know if that hotfix today has had an effect on attachments. But for now it seems incoming/outgoing emails are working and that IMS has stayed on without constantly restarting itself.

Other forums I have been on today, several people have mentioned that the same thing has happened to them just this weekend, when before this week everything seemed to work fine (just like my setup). Makes me wonder if lots of people are getting hit by the same spammer or something a little widespread.

Thanks to everyone's help on this great forum!

We believe it is now fixed. We fixed it by applying the MSExchange patch that tells Exchange Server not to send receipts to "non-delivery receipts".

This hasn't solved my problem.

Exchange 5.5 on NT4 all current SPs Also running Seagate Backup Exec 8.5 on this machine

I have been plagues with problem MY IMS is ver 5.5.2657.72

Still the <> is clogging my IMS. I have just re installed the IMS and Mind you I have 10 domains hosted on my mail server.
I disabled th NDR to no avail. I will wait until the morning to post again.

EXchange 5.5 Enterprise NT4.0 SP6a Yada Yada Yada all patches
The IMS is not efficient in ex 5.5 or 2000

I also have a junkmail Linux box that prefilters port 25.

It seems that the outgoing queue gets full with <> and it goesdown.

In addition I have disabled outgoing emails to manualy delete the outgoing queue or I get API errors when restarting the IMS. I beleive that this may be directly related to some spyware or malware that compromises the user account so it technically is an authenticated send.

I would love a fix for this because I have not been sleeping for 2 months on this issue.

Sadly Microsoft constantly has a Dead End for many situations technically speaking and my Exchange 2003 rollout is only delayed by my constantly monitoring and restarting the service.

KP

I almost forgot I suppressd the DNR and all it did was stop the barrage od emails in the exchange admin mailbox

I think I found the solution. I waited to make sure that this worked before I posted it. The solution is Microsoft article ID 837794. On step 6 I used the 10 in the Value data box in the registry.

Hope this helps. It did the trick for me.

I have experienced the same problem even with msexcimc.exe version 5.5.2657.72.

Exchange Server 5.5 SP 4

A call to Microsoft Customer Service provided a patch for msexcimc.exe to version 5.5.2658.28 which they claim may resolve the problem (MS KB884874). Time will tell over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back