Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSEXCH:IS *Exchange* HrBackupPrepare: unknown error 0 (0x0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goeze

Technical User
Jun 29, 2000
DE
I have a backup problem with our Exchange backup. Our networker server is NetWorker 6.1.1.Build.238 an our nt client is 6.0.1.Build.174. We use exchange modul 2.0.

Since some time I get this strange notification in the savegroup completion:
* server00:MSEXCH:DS HrBackupPrepare: unknown error 0 (0x0) A full backup will be performed.
* server00:MSEXCH:DS
* server00:MSEXCH:DS Backing up Microsoft Exchange Directory ...
* server00:MSEXCH:DS /EDBEX05/DS/DIR.EDB
* server00:MSEXCH:DS /EDBEX05/DS/EDB002B9.LOG
* server00:MSEXCH:DS /EDBEX05/DS/DIR.PAT
* server00:MSEXCH:DS /Directory
* server00:MSEXCH:DS /
* server00:MSEXCH:DS The backup of Microsoft Exchange Directory completed
server005: MSEXCH:DS level=incr, 11 MB 00:04:09 5 file(s)
rhea: index:edbex05 level=9, 73 KB 00:00:06 11 files

So why does this message occure ??? And what does this means???
Any idea? I would be great if anyone could help me.

Hi ve the suspect that is not an error, this because it said (0x0) and this is usually the correct output of a procedure.
maybe it can be the program that not recognize the signal.

The backup work fine ???
Have you try to open a call to Legato to have an ufficial answer???

let me know..... bye

I believe there is a hotfix for this.
Go to your support channel and I am sure they can get it for you.

I believe this is an Exchange problem. Exchange uses a couple of registry keys to keep track of where backups have got to. As I understand it the problem occurs when Exchange loses track of things for some reason - on a full backup these keys aren't updated and on incremental backup Exchange reads the duff values and gets confused.

What Exchange Service Pack are you running? You might find upgrading to a later SP will fix your problem. BTW - this shouldn't be affecting your backups too badly. You will just be doing full backups of the Directory instead of incrementals as Exchange is not sure what to backup when asked to do an incremental.

Mark

Same problem with us, but I don't really believe it is an Exchange problem - as much as I would like to. We have three Exchange servers running and only one of these three shows the error.

The installation on all thee is identical - just the number of accounts on the erroneous is bigger than on the others.

Would be nice to hear if someone has some help at hand.

Johanes

I think it's a Exchange problem. Some folks which use other Backup products have sometimes similar appearances.
At Microsoft Site I found a thread for this, which may explain the problem and solution.
It includes an HOTFIX for Exchange.

But until now we haven't the hotfix...it takes some time ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back