Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSDE Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2004
US
I'm trying to install Microsoft's Office XP Step by Step Interactive Training onto a server running MSDE2000a. The Training software asks to connect to a SQL server. I entered the server name and the Training installation wizard tried to connect but could not because the sa password was invalid.

I had created a new MSDE instance named OfficeXPTrain. With a password.

Is there default nameing that I could add to the SQL Server Name that would point the installation wizard to the specific MSDE instance?

Thanks in advanced.

It sounds like you installed a named instance of MSDE.

Click Start -> Run
Type services.msc

Look through the services list. If you see a service named MSSQLSERVER, that would represent the default instance. If you see a service named MSSQLSERVER$<instance name>, then you have a named instance.

When you connect to a named instance, you should include the instance name along with the computer name. For example, MyComputerName\MyInstanceName.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back