Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSDE and Veritas Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

rleestma

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
OK everyone...

I have an absolute doozy.

Anyone that gets this one is going to have a very big gold star, as this is probably the most difficult problem I have ever come across...

Client has a Proliant ML350 G3 box with Windows Server 2003 loaded... They bought a new application that uses MSDE in mixed authentication mode and requires a BLANK sa password in order to work correctly. It is installed in it's own instance and is running by itself.

Since installing, Veritas has completely stopped working. Veritas 9.1 has been uninstalled and reinstalled i don't know how many times, but a lot. I contacted Veritas support, and they literally said we have no idea...

If anyone can offer some ideas, I'd really appreciate it, because Veritas and myself are coming up blank.

L8er,

Ryan

Your new application is probably conflicting with Veritas' install of MSDE.

Can you confirm that the new application IS working with the MSDE that has no SA password? One thing with Microsoft's Window 2003 is it isn't allowing SQL Server to be installed without SP3(3a) which in turn REQUIRES a password for the SA account. This service pack also applies to MSDE.

The SA account with no password is a BIG security NO-NO. Every hacker knows about that. The worms that target SQL Server (which includes MSDE) all look for the blank SA password. That's why SLAMMER was such a big problem, people forgot that MSDE is used by a lot of applications and has a blank password as the default.

-SQLBill

Make sure that when you install Backup Exec 9.1 that you install it to the pre existing instance of SQL if you don't you may run into issues with the installation of the BEXEC databses. When installing a seperate instance of BExec it gives a warning that issues may arrise.

And you do need to have SP3 installed to SQL 2000 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back