Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSDE 2GB Database limit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBSTR

Programmer
Nov 10, 2005
GB
Hi
I have a customer with a MSDE2000 database.
I am going to pitch to them tomorrow migrating to a newer edition of SQL Express.
One reason being MSDEs 2GB per database limit.
They are bound to ask - how near is our database to the 2GB limit.
How do I find this out?
Thanks

The simplest way....

Code:
sp_helpdb 'YourDatabaseNameHere'

There are better reason to upgrade (other than size limitations).

1. There is no query governor in SQLExpress. With MSDE, they intentionally slow down the performance once there's more than 5 or 6 simultaneous concurrent queries.

2. There are better optimizations so the queries execute faster.

3. SQL Express Management Studio. (Although you can actually use this free GUI tool to manage an MSDE database, too.)

4. MSDE won't install on Vista, so a potential upgrade to hardware/software may force them to upgrade anyway.

5. You can run SQL Express in sql 2000 compatibility mode (80) so all of your code is (pretty much) guaranteed to work properly.

6. As a developer, you can re-write some queries to make better use of the engine. (things like common table expressions)

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back