Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSDE 2000 - where is the Enterprise Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phita

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
KE
Hi,
I have installed MSDE 2000 that comes with VFP7. How do I use it to create databases? All I get is an icon in the windows taskbar. When I double-click on it, it just opens a form where I start or stop the service. I am running it on Windows 2000 Server.
The earlier version of MSDE (version 7) used to have an Enterprise Manager which I could use to create and manage databases.
Please help me out.

Thanks,

Phita.

Phita,

MSDE is purely a run-time version of SQL Server. It comes with no front-end tools, and is not intended to be used for development. You will need a full version of SQL Server to develop your app; when you have done so, you can distribute MSDE with your application to users who do not have SQL Server installed.

Having said that, I believe MSDE does include the old OSQL command-line utility. You might try running that (from a command prompt). If you can get into it, there is nothing stopping you from using it to create a database, but you might find it a bit primitive.

If you are working at a site that does not have SQL Server, I suggest you consider buying a copy of the SQL Server develeper edition, which is fairly inexpensive and does come with Enterprise Manager and the other front-end tools.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Get a free copy of the 120-day demo version of SQL Server 2000 on CD from Microsoft. During installation, you will have the option to only install the tools. You will then have Enterprise Manager on your desktop from which to construct your MSDE database. The Tools do not time out after 120 days, so you can continue to use it. We have been doing it this way for over a year now.

As Mike said, there are no tools. However, you can find some shareware tools through a web search.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back