Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSCS - New to MSCS and would like some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noddy53

Technical User
Jul 2, 2008
GB
Hi,
I am very new to Clustering and am trying to provide a solution for a client but am finding it very hard to sort out what the licensing requirements are for MSCS.

I am looking at clustering Windows 2003 Server Standard and SQL 2005 Standard in an active Passive Node.

I am finding conflicting information on the Web as to:-
Can W2K3 Std use MSCS or does it need to be W2K3 Ent?
Can SQL 2005 Std be used on an MSCS cluster or does it need to be SQL 2005 Ent?
Do both Active and Passive Nodes need to be licensed at both OS level and SQL?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks for the information basically what i expected but good to get it confirmed.

Any Idea on W2K3 Std or Ent as I am still not 100% clear if W2K3 Std allows for MSCS but know Ent does,as my client wishes to re-use licences where possible.

From what I recall though, SQL Server Std 2005 can participate in a max 4 node cluster w/o going to enterprise edition. As for the Windows version Pagy is correct you'll need enterprise

Windows Enterprise Edition or Datacenter Edition are required for clustering.

For SQL Server you'll need SQL Server 2005 Standard or Enterprise Edition to cluster.

If your database will be internet facing you'll need to buy one CPU license for each CPU in the active node. For licensing the active node should be defined as the node which has the most physical CPU sockets.

You can install as many instances on the cluster (up to 25) without any additional license requirements as long as all the instances will be running on the same node.

If your database is not internet facing, and you have CALs for each user already you can get server licensees. However you'll need one for each instance installed, however you can run SQL instances on both nodes.

Typically people use CPU licensing for the cluster because of the number of users using the database to make the high availability requirement worth the cost of the storage.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

You won't be doing any clustering in Windows Server 2003 Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back