Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

msconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.

garebo

Vendor
May 29, 2002
CA
i found msconfig in win xp pro, which i used extensively in win 98se.
I am wondering if it works the same way as it did in 98se.
Specifically, i went to the startup section and removed a few startup items that i dont think are necessary.
When i reboot i get a message that i am using selective startup instead of the regular startup.
My question is, is that ok? Other than the startup items i un-checked, is there any problem with running in selective startup in xp pro, can i leave it that way all the time?

thanks

I run on selective startup constantly. All it means is that you have altered msconfig and it is not starting all of the services listed (therefore selective). As far as i know there are no problems associated with this. And i cannot see why there would be. Ideally though, i think it would be better to stop items from starting by alternative methods such as deleting items from startup folder in start menu, disabling start with windows options in the program itself.

| Feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well |

Just click the box that says not to display the warning again. The box will come back if you shut down something else via MSCONFIG.

I know that i can use other methods to stop certain progs from starting on startup, guess i should have mentioned that. I figured you would know that since i know about msconfig in xp pro.

Also, there was one prog that i cant remember at the moment that i couldnt get to stop starting up. That was one reason to use msconfig. but i also want to see how it works in xp compared to 98se also.

thanks for the advice.

you can also run a program called services.msc which is a better option rather than msconfig in windows xp

I AGREE WITH ADMIN...SERVICES.MCS IS ALOT BETTER AS IT GIVES YOU A DISCRIPTION OF ALL THE SERVICES WHEN YOU PAUSE YOUR CURSOR OVER THEM...THIS MAKES DISABLING STUFF ALOT SAFER. YOU CAN INADVERTENTLY DISABLE A NESSECARY SERVICE FOR A PROGRAM AND NOT REALIZE IT UNTIL YOU REALLY NEED IT....AS WELL SERVICES.MSC GIVES YOU MORE OPTIONS THAN JUST DISABLING......

the only right answer to "why?" is: "why not?"

thanks for the info.
I dont seem to be able to find anything in admin tools\services that is similar to "startup". Is there?

Services does not allow you to stop most programs from running at startup. For this you will need to follow the ways i mentioned earlier.

Services does allow you to stop unwanted computer services (and some programs are mentioned here because they are entwined with the OS such as Apache webserver SERVICE -which starts the program on startup)

Think of which programs are providing services?? Apache, MySQL etc. Sometimes NVIDIA will have an entry. Note: be careful turning things off as you could stop something else from working.

| Feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back