Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSCE Core design exams: Which to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unc92sax

Technical User
Nov 16, 2004
US
I am a security admin for a large enterprise in the Charlotte area and am studying 70-294 towards my MCSE. After this exam I only have one to go. I just can't decide which to do; Security Design or AD/Network Design. I really can go either way right now as I am interested in security, networking, server support, storage, etc. I love it all. So I guess my question is, all things being equal, which is generally in higher demand?

Thanks for any assistance.

unc92sax
MCSA, CCNA, Linux+, Security+

GO HEELS!

What other exams have you done? I would very strongly recommend against trying the 70-298 "Designing Security" exam unless you have prepared for/taken/passed the 70-299 "Implementing and Supporting Security" exam. If you haven't done the security material it will be extremely difficult to pass the 70-298.

On the other hand, most of the material for the 70-297 (I think that's the regular design exam) is already covered in the "core" 70-293/294 exams, and passing it should be much more achievable.

Of course, if you're interested in getting the MCSE:Security then by all means do so, but I would recommend doing the 70-299 first.

And I just realized that I didn't answer your question. I'm not sure that either one of them is in higher demand, per se, at least in the US. Most people look at an MCSE as an MCSE, even though they may have a specialization. However, according to Microsoft there are far fewer MCSE:Security professionals (15,063) than there are plain vanilla MCSEs (113,454). There are fewer still MCSE:Messaging professionals (9,719) than those with MCSE:Security.

Rather than worrying about what is in more demand, I'd just pick what you are more interested in. In the end it's like trying to decide whether silver Honda Accords are more popular than black Honda Accords. One might be in slightly higher demand, but they are similar enough that most people wouldn't let color be the determining factor (as opposed to price, availability, V6 vs 4-cylinder, etc).

unc92sax,

As far as higher demand, I think kmcferrin's Honda Accord analogy is sound.

Employers looking for MCSE's will look for specific experience to go along with the MCSE. Having a Security or Messaging Specialization will be secondary. On the other hand, having that specialization doesn't hurt either. I pursued and passed MCSE: Security just to have a slight edge over vanilla MCSE's that I might be competing with for the same job.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security 2003

Yo kmcferrin, what's up. I agree with you on the Vanilla MCSE. With both were battling with this. I decided to go Security design, instead of taking the infrastructure design test. In fact i skipped 70-297. And yes, you must study the 70-299 before the 70-298 to really pass this exam. Being that you have experince in this area. This would be the best route.

Here is the order of exams

70-270
70-290
70-291
70-293
70-294
70-299
70-298 MCSE: Security, if you have Security+

Do not pray to have an easier life, pray to be a stronger man!!!

B.S. Computer Information Systems
Masters of Information Technology in Network Security
CompTIA A+, Net+, Security+
MCSE: Security

MCITP: Exchange Server 2007 (Pending)
MCITP: Server 2008 (Pending)
MCTS: Windows Vista (Pending)

I did mine a little different. I did 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-299, 70-293, 70-294, and then 70-298. But either way works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back