Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSA500

Status
Not open for further replies.

cndcadams

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2004
US
I am testing out a MSA500 for the first time and created a couple raid 5 sets. I was wondering where can I find the percentage synced/done for the raid 5?

Being a unix person I am still learning all this so forgive my ignorance.

Thanks

CA

Also was wondering if anyone has the cable for the controller service port and if they know a part#. I am haveing a hell of a time trying to find it.

Thanks

CA

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand what your first question is asking.

How did you create the arrays? The arrays are created almost instantly. There is no sync/done time. Rebuilding and expanding the array will take some time, however.

Are you mirroring the two arrays?

Otherwise, most array status messages can be viewed via the ACU (array configuration utility) or the insight manager.

What OS are you using? There should be an ACU app installed on Windows that you can run right off the server's desktop.

Greg

blister911;

This is just a test box I set up to confirm the array is in working order.

I am attaching the msa500 to a dl580. I loaded windows 2000 updated to service pack 4, loaded the latest firmware with compaq firmware 7.60 cd. Updated compaq software pack to 7.51. The software pack loaded the ACU which I used to configure the Array. I created the raid 5 array, then the logical volume, wrote the signature to the array and formatted the partition which all seemed to go quickly. Then I noticed the drives leds in the msa500 raid 5 group blinking. This took a hour + before they stopped. In unix AIX, and Solaris it takes a while for the raid 5 group to initialize and there are different ways to see the percentage that the build is complete. What I am trying to figure out is how I can monitor the build process and the percentage of completion. I could not find anything in the ACU that shows this information. I found plenty of other information though. Since there is a service port on the controller (In the service manual it says for hp technical use only (ha ha)) I figured it would have useful info. I also found in a forum someone asking a similar question, and someone had responded about the service port and running a show units command which may give me information I am looking for. Maybe it is not a build process, but I want to atleast know what it is doing. So say if it was rebuilding itself due to an issue is there a way to monitor the percentage the rebuild is done?

Also I am not mirroring the arrays.

Man I don't know why I did not think of looking at the insight manager storage info. Maybe that will give me more information.

Any input is good. Like I said I am in the extreme crash course learning phase and any help is appreciated.

Are there other tools you use to monitor io activity?

Ex.. Say I needed to restore a gig of information and I wanted to see how many mb were being read and written per second so i could calculate the amount of time a restore would take?

Ignorance is not bliss....

Thanks

CA

phillid2;

what version of acu and where does it show it, what tab.

CA

Unless I've missed it, the ACU doesn't show I/O to/from the array. You're going to need to check stats on the Array controller and the drives. We don't have anything that does that. We basically do a trial and stop-watch. Maybe there is something out there that is cheap-to-free that you can get, but I haven't run across anything yet.

blister;

I can't find it anywhere so I agree with you. I am upgradeing my os to 2003 and will reload hp soft pack to see if the acu has anything more to offer with that OS. Also I had an issue with my adapter after loading multipathing, one port dropped off line and I could not get it back so I am rebuilding everything and will go from there. Just curious what OS and ACU are you running.

Thanks

CA

We have a mix of what seems to be everything. On the Windows side of the house we run 2000 and 2003 standard. As for the ACU, we are all over the board. I think we're installing 7.51, but I think there is a new version you can download (7.61?). I'll check when I get in the office next week if you are still looking for information.

blister911;

HP did just update the softpack to 7.61 which includes an updated ACU. Appreciate your help.

Thanks

CA

I am using 7.50.23.0 and it is at the bottom of More Information of the Array in questions. I am also using SBS 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.