Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS WORD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroline

MIS
Feb 21, 2000
EU
I have a 100 page word document. When i scroll down the page , the PC hangs.

Do you have a lot of Images in your document.<br>
If so you can one by one change them from embeded to Linked.<br>
<br>
Increase the size of your RAM is one (Not cheap solution)<br>
but if you work on doc's that large all the time it may be a necessity <p> DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I agree with Doug. It sound like a memory problem. How much RAM do you have? The only thing that I would add to Doug's suggestions is that I would try the document on another machine. There is the possibility that the document file is damaged.<br>
<br>
Boxplan

How long are you giving it to determine it's hung? (at least a couple of minutes at least, I hope.) I agree with everyone else. If you are using NT and the document has a number of images, you want <i>at least</i> 128 MB of RAM.<br>
<br>
Also if the images are screen captures and were done with your video resolution set to True Color, redo the captures into something like PaintShop Pro and reduce the colors to 256 before pasting them into the Word document. (You could also temporarily reduce your display color depth to 256 to do screen captures.) Screen captures are pasted in the color depth of your display. True color creates HUGE images and is not necessary for a Word document. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

If your doc ument has drawing, you can go to Tools&gt; Options&gt; View tab and de-select Show Drawings. This will turn off the display of drawings, but not save the setting in the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back