Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word - New Blank Document is not blank.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chr1sUK

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
GB
Little bit of an issue with one of the copies of Word we have running in the Office.

When the user tries to create a new, blank document, there is already text on from a previous letter.

I have no Idea how this got there, but all I need to know is how to change it so that it starts blank?

TIA

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\new office document

Have a look in here and see if the Blank Document has been changed to the one that you are seeing.
If so replace with a Blank Doc.
Should sort you out. (I hope, it worked for me)

PJ

"If you don't know how, ask 1st"

The user most likely inadvertantly saved a letter he/she was writing as Normal.dot, which is the default blank template in Word.

If you locate this file, you'll most definitely find that the text is in there. Delete all the text and save the Normal.dot file.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
A polar bear walks into a bar and says, "Can I have a ... beer?"
The bartender asks, "What's with the big pause?

Searches for the normal.dot file have yeilded no results....which is a bit weird!

Any other possiblilities?

Would reinstalling the program sort it?

You could create a new document, remove all text from it, set font to regular font, etc.

Then, save it AS A DOCUMENT TEMPLATE in the directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates as Normal.dot

Then, try creating a new document. Word should use the new Normal.dot as the blank template.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
A polar bear walks into a bar and says, "Can I have a ... beer?"
The bartender asks, "What's with the big pause?

Excellent, sorted it.

The above didn't seem to sort it directly, but it prompted my to check the target of "new blank document" in word itself, which i then replaced with a blank template.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back