Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word margin shadow 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skanrey

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
US
I have a user that made some adjustment in her Word setup that now shows the margin shadow on each and every page wether it is a new page or existing document. It can be moved using the rulers both vert and horizontal. It shows as dotted lines. She doesn't know how or when she did it and I can't find a way to turn it off.
Any help would be nice.

Mike

It is likely she changed her normal.dot file. Open it, and make whatever changes you need.

BTW: it is always a good idea to mention what version you are using. If this is Word 2007, there may be other issues. I do not know, as I refuse to use 2007.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Format | Borders and Shading... | Page Border

Most likely.

I agree that it seems like Normal.dot was changed.

Sorry for the lapse in senses there. We are stuck on Office 2000 because I like it and no need to upgrade in my eyes... I will check that file and see what may be irregular there. I have checked all the border and shading options as well as reset most of the to the factory default. It is odd that when in print preview or on the printed doc they are not there.

Thanks for all the advise .

Mike

Back again,

As I mentioned in my repost, we are running office 2000 suite but have upgraded the Outlook to 2003 for exchange server use. I have searched for the normal.dot file and it is not found, only normal.fmt is in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033 folder. I am checking mine against hers to see if there is any variations.

look under tools, options, file locations and see where the user templates are stored. That's the location normal.dot should be located. Try renaming normal.dot - when you re-open Word it should create a new copy. If that works, you can copy any templates or settings back using Tools, Templates and Add-ins, Organizer.

Well, I found the setting that was needed in the options/view/print and web layout section for text boundaries.
Unchecking the box cleared the border that was present.
Thanks for all the help and hope this info will help others.

Normal.dot (which must exist) is a hidden file. To find it you must check the option 'Show hidden files and folders' in Windows Explorer under Tools, Options.

What would have helped diagnose this problem earlier is if you had said that there was a page BOUNDARY displaid. Boundaries, like Grid Lines' do not print and are there only as a guide to show the limits of text areas.

Most Word Power users have boundaries displaid all the time as it helps layout of complex documetns.

Office 2000 was a solid and reliable release and you probably saved yourself much suffering by sticking with it!

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back