Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word mail merge .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

camster39

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
My word template has the following fields:

Company Name
Activity 1
Activity 1 Date
Activity 2
Activity 2 Date
Activity 3
Activity 3 Date

My data source (a CSV file), however contains multiple records for each activity for example......

ABCM Corp, Call Client, 1-12-08
ABCM Corp, Set Expectation, 2-14-08
ABCM Corp, Deliver Proposal, 3-1-08
etc....

When I merge to my doc I want to merge all the activities from the multiple rows above into one record. In the example above my merged doc should look like this...

Company Name: ABCM Corp.
Activity1: Call Client
Activity1 Date: 1-12-08
Activity2: Set Expectation
Activity2 Data: 2-14-08
Activity3: Deliver Proposal
Activity3 Date: 3-1-08

When I try to merge I would get three pages in the above example where I only want to get 1 page. Hope that makes sense? Thank you for any help.

Hi,

If it were me, I'd be doing this in Excel, where you can perform a one to many relationship taxk.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Hi camster39,

Word's mailmerge facility isn't designed for that type of merge - you need to reorganise the data so that all the fields for each record (company) are on the same line (ie multiple columns).

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back