Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word - how to protect file

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkjambu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2002
MY
guys,

how can i protect my MS Word file from being edited or saved by other people. Let say I send 1 file thru email to A. How can I bar A from saving the file to other name and edit it. So far, I only protect my MS Word file thru "password" and "read only" option.

Can I set the file so no other person can "Save As" it again?

One more thing, is there a way of to protect, let say 20 files at one time? If I put them in one folder, what options do I have to make sure it is well protected.

Thanks for any help.

There is no way to truly get someone not to edit your file.

You can protect the document for forms, which keeps them from editing it, but there is a workaround for that--just insert the document into another file and the protection is lost.

Office/Word 2003 has better security features, but from what I can see, they're very difficult to implement, and most people will not be willing to take the steps necessary.

Can you protect a bunch at once? Not if you can't really protect ONE.

Sorry. I don't mean to bring bad news.

Anne Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back