Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word Functionality in a VB App

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag

Programmer
Nov 5, 1998
GB
Hi,<br>
<br>
Can anyone offer an opinion as to the best way to implement MS Word 97 features in a VB Application.<br>
<br>
My users need minimum:<br>
<br>
Full Word character formatting<br>
Interactive spell checking (underline style)<br>
Autotext<br>
Macros<br>
<br>
I have looked at the OLE container but wasn't quite sure how this worked in terms of saving the Word document.<br>
<br>
Are there better approaches using VB 6.0?<br>
<br>
All users will have MS Word97 installed on their machines and I would like to make use of this rather than impelmenting a third party custom control. (The latter choice is not a complete no no).<br>
<br>
TIA<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>

I have done something which may be similiar to what you are trying to do. I have a VB app that uses Word functionality. Basically we have a database that among other things we use to create form letters which I use Word to do. I create an object of Word Basic in my VB app and using it I can create and save the resultant form letter on the network. I then use the OLE container to link the letter to a field in the database. The users then have a list of all form letters created for each client, and as they scroll down the list they can see a small preview in the OLE container window. If they want they can double-click the OLE container window and it opens that document in Word.<br>
<br>
Hope that helps,<br>
<br>
Paul

Thanks for the reply.....<br>
<br>
Your application sounds exactly like one we written as well!<br>
<br>
I need to go one step further and now give the users full WP facility which the app can use later...<br>
<br>
Someone sent me this which may be of use generally for others:<br>
<br>
----------<br>
I've come across a download on the microsoft site which allows you to insert Word or Excel into a VB app. The link is ----------<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor