Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word 2002 Merge into Table 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrooks54

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
It seems like a simple idea, but I've spent hours looking for a simple solution that may not exist...

I have an Excel database from which I want to create a Catalog in Word. The Columns are SKU, Description 1, Description 2, Unit of Measure, Unit Price.

The Output Table needs to be 4 columns in the Form:
SKU | Description1, Description2 | UoM | Price
Column2 will wrap if the fields are long enough, description 1 is in bold. I figure the merge needs to go into a table because of the 'rules' for column2.

Seems like a straightforward request, but when I create a table to merge in to, I only get one row per page.

Is there no way to merge in to a table in Word? Is there a better solution?

Thanks

I have an Excel database from which I want to create a Catalog in Word.

Using Word 2000 MailMerge Wizard. Under Main Document>>Create choose Catalog. Then make a one row table, inserting your Excel fields in the Main Doucument. Then merge. It should create a row for each record.

Barbara

Choose catalog as your Main Document’s merge type.
Create your 5-column, 1-row table.
Adjust the column widths as desired
Insert the desired field codes
If you would like a Header to print on each page, copy the table (to ensure the column widths match inside and outside the Header) into the Header.
In the Header, replace the field codes with text labels.

Inside the Header
catalogmrgi.jpg

Outside the Header
catalogmrgo.jpg

Ready to merge.

Download sample Catalog form (Word)

Download sample Catalog data (Excel)

Sorry, for the blatant mistake in my previous post. Here is the corrected one:

Choose catalog as your Main Document’s merge type.
Create your 5-column, 1-row table.
Adjust the column widths as desired
Insert the desired field codes
If you would like a Header to print on each page, copy the table (to ensure the column widths match inside and outside the Header) into the Header.
In the Header, replace the field codes with text labels.

Inside the Header
catalogmrgi.jpg

Outside the Header
catalogmrgo.jpg

Ready to merge.

Download sample Catalog form (Word)

Download sample Catalog data (Excel)

Arrrrrrrrrg! It didn't refresh! Okay, so here's only the one "replacement image"

Inside the Header
catalogmrgi.jpg

Thanks for the help. My mistake was having a two row table with the header in it.

As far as putting the table in the header: I have 2 columns each 3.5 inches wide with a .25 inch gap. When I paste the table in the header once, it lines up fine over the first column, put I can't seem to place a second copy on the same horizontal line. It insists on being slightly lower.

And now going way out on a limb: is it possible during the merge to do formatting? IE. I have a field in my merge file that contains a record type, IE H1 and D1. If a record is an H1, I would like to merge all the cells in the row, and then apply a 'Header1' style to the row.

If it can't be done during the merge, I suppose I will have to do it with code. Is there a link somewhere that has vba examples of how to sequentially read rows of a table in Word?

Again, thanks for the invaluable help...

Not clear as to whether or not you have one table or two. You should have one table--3 columns, 1 row. Format columns 1 and 3 to be 3.5" wide and column 2 to be .25" wide.

As to the space between the header table and text table, see
s it possible during the merge to do formatting? IE. I have a field in my merge file that contains a record type, IE H1 and D1. If a record is an H1, I would like to merge all the cells in the row, and then apply a 'Header1' style to the row

You would need to do two things: (1) Use an IF...THEN...ELSE statement, and (2) use /* MERGEFORMAT at the end of each field code (inside the right brace) to retain the formatting. If you need an example, let me know, and I'll post one as soon as I have sufficient time.

One drawback to it being a table in the IF...THEN...ELSE statement--it will place a blank paragraph between each table row. Of course, you could search and replace to delete them, if that is an acceptable workaround for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back