Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Word 2000 hangs on scrolling through document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Machine was fine until recently. Then when opening any word document (rtf, doc, or even plain text) Word hangs as soon as you scroll through the document after a page or two.

So far I have.

Deleted Normal.Dot - no change

Run antivirus scans and checked with HijackThis - reported clean.

Run Auslogics Registry Cleaner

No change

So I tried repairing Office - no change

So I uninstalled and re-installed Office 2000 from the CD. No change - but during the install there was one strange message I have never seen before.

"Unable to access configuration for Microsoft Personal Web Server."

The dialog box had one button - OK - so I clicked it. The install continued normally.

What personal Web Server? I have never installed one?

Can anyone throw any light on what needs to be done?

Machine is running XP SP3 Pro - all up to date. Avast Antivirus v5 also up to date.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Why don't you get "more basic" and test the memory in the system and then the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic test. Rule out the hardware and then move onto the software.

You could then try SFC /SCANNOW to check system files.

Then maybe a registry repair with CCLEANER.

You started at the far end of the troubleshooting steps - which would have been my reaction too, but now you have to step back and go to hardware, then windows, then back to word.

CCLEANER looks to be a useful addition to my toolkit. Thanks for that goombawaho. But as Word is the only issue I don't think there are any hardware problems with that machine.

Diancecht Doh! dummo - I forgot to check installed printers. £ to a penny that's the issue - Thanks. I'll see if I can work on it over the weekend. Unless it has something to do with that ("Unable to access configuration for Microsoft Personal Web Server.") message?

BTW I forgot to mention, that as a work-around, I installed OpenOffice - which is working just fine.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

If you think about all the people that go right at a problem only to bounce their head off a wall because the root cause was hardware-related, you might be surprised. Not saying it's FOR SURE that in your case, but you have to be willing to zag instead of zig in your troubleshooting steps.

And hardware is the basis for everything that happens at a higher level. Lesson: don't be too quick to ignore or dismiss the idea that it could be hardware-related.

I'm not dismissing the idea of a hardware problem. But seeing as the machine runs everything else fine, including Google Earth, I think it's unlikely. Scrolling works fine in Excel, OpenOffice and IE - to name but 3.
If I can get exclusive access for long enough then I will run a memory check and do a hard drive scan.

When word hangs - you get an hourglass whilst the mouse cursor is over the document. Taskmanager shows that the CPU is idle. So Word is waiting for an event. But what event? As suggested I think a corrupted printer driver is likely, or possibly the screen driver needs a re-installation. One other possibility occurs to me - it is waiting for a web server that isn't there?

Windows XP Home, or Vista Home Premium, do not come with a Web server such as PWS (Personal Web Server) or IIS (Internet Information Service) like previous Windows. You need to get a third party web server such as Xitami or Apache."

Are you running anything like those two mentioned programs?

I remember PWS from Windows 98 and ME days but that was replaced by IIS. Office 2000 might just be old enough to remember it too.

Run IIS 5.0 and IIS 5.1 Instead of PWS on Windows 2000 Professional

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Word.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Do other users have the same problem?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Wasn't Office 2010 being released sometime this month (hint,hint)?

You don't say what Service Release level you're on... If not, try upgrading to Office 2000 SR1a.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back