Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Windows Update items. How to evaluate? Standard practice? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardhot

Instructor
Jun 21, 2002
US

Hello, all

A naive question:

If I go to Start/Settings/Windows Update site, I notice new
items offered there.

I haven't downloaded a thing from there for ages so i assume whatever they show is newer than what i have. Example: DirectX 8.1 is offered and there's even a Direct X web site with DirectX 9.0 (don't know why 8.1 is offered if there's already a 9.0 offered too)

Should I "blithely" assume newer is better and go ahead with these kinds of downloads or should I reason "leave well enough alone"? (Don't know whether going to Windows Update site should be thought of as standard practice/maintenance).

Need some thoughts and do's and don't's in this area for my Win98SE box....intuitively one would of course like to be current...on the other hand, new hassles are not welcome, either.

Thanks.
richardhot

Hi Richard,

Can only relate own experiences and recommend you install DirectX9 and Media Player9. The improvement in visual and audio quality of movies is simply outstanding.

Also recommend you install any critical updates and then be selective of other offerings as they apply to you.

So far have not experienced any problems with any installations from the Microsoft Update site. And IE6 is definately worth while. Have friends with XP who are envious of the quality they see on my system.

Hope this helps

best

John

Hi Rich,

What version of DirectX do you have?

I would only recommend downloading DirectX9 if you have some of todays newest games (and there aren't many yet) that REQUIRE it. This is probably the only way a difference would be noticed.
Also, you may get into complications with it because it will more than likely require you to also update your video drivers.

So basically what I am saying in this instance is: "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!"

If you do happen to purchase software that requires DX9, it will more than likely come with the software. If it happens that you need to install DX9, check out the website for the video card you have first for an update.

DX V8.1 is still available for Win95 which is incapable of running DX9.

If you must upgrade, let us know........

As for Windows Mediaplayer, V9 has more fluff than V7.1.

An older player version is capable of playing later formats with less fluff, "bells and whistles", DRM junk code, making it consume less resources and HDD space by only downloading the necessary dll's (2) for viewing the format without the fluff:
1 - WMP V6.4 is capable of playing M$ formats up thru WMV8 which includes all mpegs, asf, asx, etc.
2 - WMP V7.1 is only NEEDED to view WMV9 media.
All Mediaplayer 9 player DL gives you is 14MB of xtra skins n such.
If you need the WMV9 codecs, (using WMP 7.1) go to a WMP 9 streaming media link on the M$ site & your V7.1 will DL the codecs (I think they are approx 300KB) and begin playing the stream.

Anyway, time to get off of the soap box and get some work done.

Regards

Forgot to mention,

No matter which WMP version that you have, you will need a special codec for DivX avi's which is not supported by M$.

Hello recent thread responders...

Invaluable guidance, as always...

For the time being, I'll "let sleeping dogs lie" since I don't happen to ever play computer games...perhaps eventually I'll change my mind.(Im intrigued by Sym City and Civilization III from what I've heard)

I'm basically most afraid to get in over my head and so if it's acceptable to stay with what i have, I'll do that...i certainly don't want to get into replacing drivers, etc..since i'd basically be at sea...

I did recently switch over to the latest Media Player and have had no problems though Real Player is my default anyway...

(You fellows should team up with Tek-Tips and create a new
book series (a la "Dummies", sort of) for millions of users who neither want to be at the expert level like yourselves nor at the "Joe Average"/"Mary Housewife" level either but somewhere in the middle...this is an enormous market segment).
Thanks to all, as always
richardhot

Footnote:

Overlooked point: don't even know what version of DirectX I have! Since i haven't updated/upgraded for years,it's some predecessor to 8.1 or 9.0..

richardhot

You should be able to find out what directx version you have by: Start, Run, dxdiag. Also, it's kind of late now, but I don't recommend updating to any 8.X or 9.x Media Player unless you've get a fairly strong (processor, memory) system because the recent versions are quite a resource hog.

Yes, except that you didn't tell richardhot how to find out what version of dx he's using and I wanted to mention the 'system' stuff because not everyone realizes that more fluff = more resources.

Hello all

Footnote again,

I have DirectX 6.3

Finally figured out I could find out this datum in Fresh Diagnose utility I have, under Multimedia.

Plan to hold off on any upgrades since sometimes, "don't just do something, stand there" seems wisest.
Thanks
richardhot

Geez Smah - I couldda sworn I...............DOH!

Sorry!

I need a vacation!

Regards

I would recommend upgrading to DirectX 8.1. I have a nearly four year old Dell Pentium III at 450MhZ that handles 8.1 just fine. Your version is way too old! I agree that you stay away from version 9 which is terribly buggy in addition to the other reasons mentioned for not getting it. Media Player 9 release version is also terribly buggy. It would not work on my system, whereas, the earlier betas were fabulous with movies from Intertainer. So be careful. But if you want movies from Movie Link and Intertainer (when it returns) and other movie sites you are required to use Media Player 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back