Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Visual C++ vs. Borland C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitshifter05

Programmer
Jul 15, 1999
US
I am a college student, and just starting to develope C++ apps for windows. I have played around with both Borland C++ builder and Microsoft Visual C++, and was wondering which one was better and why. Pros and Cons if you will. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

It's purely upto your preference.

I use VC++ mainly because its what I have to use at work, VC++ benefits are usally MFC(if some people still like it) some people like the IDE better, and it's mostly coding.

Borland C++ Builder's goal was to get the "power of VC++" with "the ease of visual basic" so for borland, if you are one that likes the visual interface of VB, this is usally for you, also other than it being compatible with Delphi forms, and such, its somewhat nicer looking.

as far as better, it's purely upto you.

For projects wich you have very little time to develop and with accent on GUI choose Borland. It has many ready to use components. And if you don't want nothing really special with those you'll find it very convenient. But be aware that VCL is really written in Pascal. And of course you'll need to provide Borland's run-time libraries with your applications. VC++ apps need MFC dlls which are more standard to Windows systems.

Choose VC++ if you want to learn how it all (especially Win32 stuff)really works.

As for pure C++ you can choose any of them. They both have some proprietary features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back