Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Visual C++ vs. Borland C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitshifter05

Programmer
Jul 15, 1999
US
I am a college student, and just starting to develope C++ apps for windows. I have played around with both Borland C++ builder and Microsoft Visual C++, and was wondering which one was better and why. Pros and Cons if you will. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I am going to give you my opinion. No data to back it up
BCB Pros
Closer to the standard than VC++.
Easier to use.
Being ported to Lynix, and other OS's.

VC++ Pros
Used by more people.
Supported by a LARGE corporation.

BCB Cons
Borland/Inprise on a precarious financial situation.

VC++ Cons[b/]
Never will comply with the standard since it is written to support only Windows.
Unlikely to be ported to other OS's.

Hi Kevin,

my 2 bobs worth.

I like VC++ its good (but i'm still looking for the visual part of it aka Visual Basic and Builder) i also like builder i have Builder 4 and VC++ 6 and VB 6, i think the coments above are fair comment. I've also heard that Builder will be ported to Linux so this could be interesting! you will be writing windows apps quicker in builder then VC++ ;-)

see ya
Robert [sig][/sig]

I've been trying to learn Visual C++ 5/6 for years and it's darn near impossible to do anything in it.

I fired up Borland C++ Builder 5 for the first time ever and I could make Windows programs as easily as in Visual Basic yet still have the power and speed of the C++ language. It has its quirks, but there's no doubt it's easier to program in.

- Chris

In my humble opinion (as a novice in both Borland and Microsoft C-compilers) Borland C++ is better understundable and easier to use, but there are so few manuals available. Compare what you see on the shelves in the nearest book store for Borland with that for VC++. A couple of years ago I bought a copy of Builder 3 meaning that I may develop licenced apps only with this compiler but sometimes I simply cannot find what I need.

Borland, by a long shot. There is plenty of documentation (rivaling what's out there for visual), you just have to know where to look. I have nothing against Visual, but the point about borland going cross platform is allready in the works (Delphi enterprise edition is Windows/Linux). Read up on the features of both of them, for beginers, visual is probably best. But if you're serious about software design, borland is the way to go.

My humble opinion. Rob
"Programming is like art...It makes me feel like chopping my ear off."

You could be getting a biased opion from around here ;)

I am sticking my guns with the rest of the crowd, no sense in repeating whats been said.
... oh what the heck, Borland is so easy to use

A question to rjr9999.

(Soory, Kevin, I don't know how to reach rjr9999 directly).

Rob,

Could you, please, refer to the sites where we can find online documentation, manuals, code examples etc. for Borland C++ Builder (I have Builder 3 myself)?

Thanks,

Sasha

I have some of them bookmarked at home, i'll be home around 7pm EST tonight, i'll paste them up here then. Rob
"Programming is like art...It makes me feel like chopping my ear off."

- Currently down

I have not figured out why it's called "Visual" C++ yet. It's great for console programming, however you just can't beat Borland Builder for Windows C++ programming. Another place where Borland is kickass is in database programming.

Like any platform, they both have their quirks. Sometimes code that should work anywhere will compile fine in Borland and not in Visual C++ and vice versa. It's really quite annoying.

In my mind, when you can afford it, use both.

george

Question for rjr9999,
the same as SashaBuider3,
I have to move to Borland C++.
So, I tried to find some docs on the web (manuals, examples, etc.), with no success.
rjr9990, could you help with your bookmarks or someone else?
Thanx in advance.

hogar@web.de

Greetinx!

Is there the official documnent describing advantages and disadvantages of BCB and VC++? Happy programming!))

Borland sticks to the standard more so when you start to become advanced in C++ you will not be some screwed up C++ programmer :)
That happened to me. I learnt on Visual C++ and when I tried compiling my programs on other compilers I got a thousand errors :( Luckley im starting to recover. Definitly go with Borland, they make great compilers at a good prise.

Here's a new one. The newer BCB will also work in Linux and a .NET version is coming soon.

James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back