Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Update won't go away after updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscallisto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
My latest MS Updates for KB2656369 and three others updated successfully on windows close but continues to re-appear on windows open.

Tried "Microsoft Fix it" which is supposed to address this problem.
Microsoft Fix it found and "fixed" a problem but unfortunately the problem persists.

Also ran the following thinking that maybe the registry had a problem:

Advanced System Care
CCleaner
RecScrupXP

The problem continues to persist and I need to shut down with the "don't install updates" option.

Any thoughts welcome

Sam

Find the relevant portion of the windows update log and post it. Most likely - one or more updates have choked and did NOT install properly, thus they are trying again and again. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.

C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log

Hi goombawaho

ReportingEvents.log looks like you may be correct but it's long and not all that easy to read since I've run the updates many times.

Can I delete ReportingEvents.log; run the updates again then look at a much shorter log?

sam

mcallisto:
New events are appended to the end of the log, and the 2nd and 3rd fields are date/time, so you should be able to jump to the end and work backwards, should be the most recent (last) entries

Or put in some marks ---------------- so that new entries are below it. Or import into Excel.

OK thanks to both of you; I'll add some ------ at the end and give it a try.

This is the ReportingEvents.log entries for the update i just did.
As you can see it updates successfully then downloads the same updates again.
I've tried the updates as standalone and at windows close with the same looping results.
It seems like a registry entry or something else that signals the updates were done isn't happening.

Any Clues?

Code:
Windows Update Client successfully detected 4 updates.
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2686828)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2656368)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2686827)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369)

[b]Then it downloaded the same four updates[/b]

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM:  - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2686828)

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM:  - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2686828) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2656368)

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM:  - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2686828) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2656368) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2686827)

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM:  - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2686828) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2656368) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2686827) - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369)

Thanks goombawaho

I've probably tried most of those suggestions but I'll methodically re-try each one and let you know the results.

Otherwise I'll have to wait for Microsoft to fix it.

Thanks again

Sam

Follow-Up:

Finally found a fix ... Dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip cleaned up the "re-appearing update" problem.

Google Dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip and choose your download site.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back