Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Storage Server 2003 / NAS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffman33

MIS
Nov 16, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm looking to do a NAS implementation, environment consisting of 50 users (expanding to 150-200 users) storing profiles; and approx 6 servers. I've been looking at MS Storage Server 2003 and had some questions about what it can actually do.

1. Will Storage Server 2003 be able to use 2 physical NAS boxes as 1 logical storage device? I'd like to keep a true centralized environment (i.e. \\fileserver instead of having \\fileserver1 and \\fileserver2)

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is yes, how easy is it to add an additional NAS box if I need more storage? Will it just expand the logical volume? Are there any other things to consider?

3. I'm planning on using an LTO library connected to the NAS box(es); over SCSI. Is this a practical approach? I'd like all the NAS boxes & LTO to be connected over external SCSI. I see iSCSI (ethernet) is a possible solution - but i'm worried about bandwidth constraints.

Any information would be very useful - thanks in advance!

-Tim

Hi,
If you need to expand your storage space, it will be possible to add drives/LUNs while system is working. I don't have any practical experience with iSCSI, but local backup (SCSI attached tape library) is perfect in both speed and reliability. Also, in case of using one file server instead of two, try using one NAS device with more attached storage. refrain from using multiple NAS devices.

with celera you can configure network in such a way that it will be one logical nas box. You can use agreegation and fail safe network methods together to do this.
You will need to create couple of alises in you DNS env.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back