Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS SQL leeks Memory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jremes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
CA
MS SQL 2000 server takes more memory every day, and I have only about 3 or 4 users on it. In task manager I can see that memory usage is increasing every day, but after hours when there is no activity the memory used up does not get released back to the OS. I have to stop and restart the service to free the memory every 5-6 days. Can anyone help me with this please? :-(

That's normal and it's also why Microsoft recommends that SQL Server be the only application on the server. SQL Server is designed to 'grab' as much memory as it needs and since it needed it once, it will probably need it again so it doesn't get released. This helps SQL Server operate quicker since it holds the memory and doesn't have to try and grab it from another application.

-SQLBill

I did not know that and thanks for your help but this server has a Gig of RAM and if I don’t release the memory, eventually SQL will eat it all up, and the server will crash in lack of system resources.

MS SQL Server will NOT grab 128MB of RAM. It pretty much leaves that for the Operating System to use. You shouldn't see a crash from SQL Server grabbing/holding RAM.

-SQLBill

You can make changes using Enterprise Manager. Drill down to your server, right-click on the server (not database) and select properties. Go to the Memory tab. There you can change how much memory SQL Server uses.

-SQLBill

You should either add some more ram or move some application
from your server.As Bill say dedicated for SQL Serevr is the best way to resolve the problem.You cant afford adding Ram all the time.

Or you may want to change the memory seting to prevent SQl Server take too much memory.(set max. memory that SQL Server can use,but it will slow the sql server performance)

You can set the maximum amount of memory that SQL Server can use by right clicking on the server in EM and then selecting properties, and the memory tab.

jimmY [cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back