Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ms sql 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster123

Technical User
Jun 21, 2006
GB
what kind of service account is needed to run sql 2005? i want to install sql 2005 but i dont want to use my admin account to run the services. Does the service account need admin rights?

Mastering MS SQL Server 2005 said:
The SQL Server service does not need administrative access; only the SQL Server Agent service does

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

It's also recommended NOT to have the SQL Server Service as a administrator.

Also to go farther as I've seen a bit of admin credentials running the agent

MS said:
Limit privilege level of SQL Server Services.

SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server Agent run as Windows services. Each service must be associated with a Windows account, from which it derives its security context. SQL Server allows users of the sa login, and in some cases other users, to access operating system features. These operating system calls are made with the security context of the account that owns the server process. If the server is cracked, these operating system calls may be used to extend the attack to any other resource to which the owning process (the SQL Server service account) has access. For this reason, it is important to grant only necessary privileges to SQL Server services.

SQL Server Agent Service/SQLServerAgent
Disable if not required in your environment; otherwise run as a Windows domain user account with regular user privileges. Do not run as local system, local administrator, or domain administrator accounts.

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back