Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Small Business 2000 with XP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdDay

Technical User
Nov 30, 2010
US
I am in need of a new laptop to run Excel. I have no desire to mess with Win 7 or 8.

I have MS Small Business Office 2000 on my current laptop running Vista. Will the Small Business 2000 suite work with XP? XP Pro?

I found the following on the MS site, but I really have no clue as to the answer to my question.

On Amazon I found a Dell Latitude E6400 that is listed with "Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista Business". Does this mean it has two OS's? Is Microsoft Windows Vista Business a suite of software?

Thanks in advance.

Don't bother with XP. It is de-supported next month (no more updates). You should be on Windows 7 at this point and then wait for Windows 9 (skipping 8). I'm having a hard time believing that you are on something older than XP at THIS point. Shocking.

Office 2000 - any flavor runs on XP.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

>Will the Small Business 2000 suite work with XP? XP Pro?
Yes, Office 2000 is compatible with Windows XP

>I found the following on the MS site, but I really have no clue as to the answer to my question.
That link doesn't help you... it talks only about upgrading Office 97 / Office 2000 to Office 2002 (which was also poorly named "Office XP" despite having nothing to do with the operating system called "Windows XP").

>On Amazon I found a Dell Latitude E6400 that is listed with "Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista Business". Does this mean it has two OS's?
I doubt it; more likely it shipped with Windows XP and was upgraded to Vista Business.

>Is Microsoft Windows Vista Business a suite of software?
No, Vista is the operating system, and "Vista Business" refers to the edition of Vista (as opposed to Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Enterprise etc). "Microsoft Office", however, is a suite of software.

Just to clarify, you're not encouraging the OP to run with XP?? Vista blows, so they should go with Win7 and because "oh how i love to hate windows 8".

I have no desire to mess with Win 7 or 8
I'm curious as to why. W7 is pretty much the same interface as Vista, but it's a ton better and without the Vista headaches. You would be quite comfortable using Windows 7. And a lot more stable. And answering a lot less "Are you sure?" prompts.

I haven't used 8 yet so no comment there.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Did I totally misunderstand that the OP is now running Vista. I think I did.

>On Amazon I found a Dell Latitude E6400 that is listed with "Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista Business". Does this mean it has two OS's?
I doubt it; more likely it shipped with Windows XP and was upgraded to Vista Business.

Yes it has two OSs shipped with it. Likely from what I've seen is that it was shipped with Windows XP installed but as a customer ordered downgrade and it will have a Vista sticker on it. I have a Dell from a customer right now that has the that situation and it's from 2009. That was era of Vista, but everyone said Noooooo give me XP. It came with both installation media. If you install XP on it, it will NOT require entering COA or activation. If you install the vista, you would use the COA off the side.

Just to Clarify, Office 2000 requires at least Windows 95. So yes it will run on XP.

Requirements here:

However, that version of Office is so old be aware it will not open newer office documents formats. So if anybody sends you any files made with say Office 2007 or 2010 etc... you likely won't be able to open
them.

You should at this point be running a newer OS and a newer version of office. If the hardware supports it.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

vacunita's:
"However, that version of Office is so old be aware it will not open newer office documents formats. So if anybody sends you any files made with say Office 2007 or 2010 etc... you likely won't be able to open them."

Except that you can get MS's viewer that will allow you to look at them.

Or you could try the open office, version 4.0 that will open them.

This has to do with the MS program to lock their stuff away, recalling the hullabaloo about national standards and their stuffing the standard boards.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

edfair said:
Or you could try the open office, version 4.0 that will open them.

Which then renders the need for Office 2000 moot. It is a good Alternative though I prefer Libre Office.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

goombawaho said:
Just to clarify, you're not encouraging the OP to run with XP??
Why not? In some cases it could be still a choice. For example if you have old hardware. Or if you're forced to use old programs, which no longer run on Windows7.

Something, something not supported with updates after April, 2014. Not supported on newer hardware. Malwarefest to come. Your mileage may vary.
Read some of the articles on your risk of running XP after the patches stop. It's up to to you to determine the real world risk of doing so. There is absolute risk vs. relative risk.

This is an interesting thread about "sky is falling" vs. it's not really falling continuing to run XP.
Link

I really don't understand why people get paranoid about patches and updates. The thing is you don't need "security patches" unless you are connected to the internet. There is no "security problem" if you are not connected to the internet.

My mother in law only ever uses her PC for watching videos. Runs XPHome SP1. Never been updated, and has never had any problems apart from

Windows with security patches or without them is always unsecure - unless you have a good antivirus solution.

I really don't understand why people get paranoid about patches and updates.
Tell me how many computers are NOT connected to the internet in the average user's environment. I know of one out of everyone that I know. The OP said nothing about not being connected to the internet. They said "on Amazon", so they must be using the internet. Why post a comment that applies to a very specific and tiny percentage of situations?

A bigger issue is that the OP never came back to thank us.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back