Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Server 2008 & Paradox 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

andwye

Technical User
Oct 7, 2005
GB
I've recently installed Server 2008 on a new server which has 64 bit technology. All the workstations have been downgraded to run on XP as I wanted to avoid Vista. I've been successfully running Paradox 9 over the network where the original server operated MS Server 2003. The old server and the XP workstations had Netbeui protocol installed. The new server does not recognise Netbeui and so I don't seem to be able to install it. Now the workstations with the new server hang when ever you want to change a record.
Our tech boys have devised a work around where Paradox is installed on one of the XP workstations, this suggests the problem is a network problem. Unfortunately this is a complete waste of the server's capabilities.
Can anyone think of a solution? Otherwise I'm going to be forced to change to a different database and this will take me a minimum of 6 months to devise. I'm loathed to do this as Paradox in my eyes is so flexible.

Just some thoughts. I haven't tried using MS Server 2008 as a file server.

1. There's no reason a TCP/IP network would work. Go with that.

2. Turn off opportunistic locking.

3. Turn off real-time anti-virus scanning for all directories used by Paradox - both on workstations and on the server - this is an absolute must, not an option, never mind what the virus-paranoid IT folk say.

Give that a shot and see how it works.

Liz

We have managed to successfully overcome the problem by installing Hyper-V on the server and installing Windows 2008 server 32bit.

All anti-virus scanning was disabled for all directories used by Paradox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back