Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS SBS 2003 -- Configure as Workgroup server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pray11342

Technical User
Apr 26, 1999
US
I am replacing an old Windows 2000 server with SMall Business Server 2003. The server runs an imaging application that only requires one or two people to log in, plus a couple of small applications

The W2K server is configured as a WorkGroup Server.

I can't seem to install the Small Business Server as a Workgroup Server. I can eliminate Exchange Server, Microsoft Outlook, and Fax Services

During install, it wants to install a local domain and Active Directory.

It seems to me that I have installed Windows Server 2003 as a workgroup server, but it was probably Standard, not SBS.

Am I euchered on this? For the purposes this server is running, a workgroup Server is all that is needed. The main Network is Novell, and I was hoping to keep this as uncomplicated as possible.

Thanks for any help,

Paul Ray

Programming Languages -- .BAT Files

Preffered editor -- EDLIN

SBS is designed be the Domain controller, period.
Simply follow the install wizards.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks PHV,

That helps. Not what I wanted to hear, but it helps.

So anyone that accesses services running on this Server must be logged in?

Can I configure a common user, say "Staff", and give multiple logins?

One of the secondary apps is just a service, and the other is a mileage program. The old Win2K Workgroup Server handled this just fine, the mileage program was available to everyone (5 of them at a time)

The $64 question is -- Am I going to have to buy licenses for 40 users?

Paul Ray

Thanks 58Sniper,

Well, "Staff" would be a user?

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but under Novell, I can configure a user to have multiple logins, from different computers.

It seemed to work with Server 2K, although it was a workgroup server, and only needed a mapped drive.

Up to 5 people could access the mileage program, they were instructed to close it when finished.

When the 6th user tried to access the program, it was not his lucky day.

I have the SBS up, and I have mapped a drive to it. It appears that I can move data, so I suspect that it will work.

I will try to access it from different computers using the same login.

Thanks for the help!

Paul Ray

staff is not a user. You need to have a CAL for each user that will be accessing the server. Otherwise, you'd only have but one license and could have zillions of people using it.

Regardless of whether you have concurrent connections, you're obligated to have a CAL for each user. Failing to do so is a violation of the licensing agreement that you agreed to.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Pray11342, as has been pointed out to you, SBS requires a license for EACH user (person) independant of the number of user IDs you create. SBS is offered at a severe discount compared to a regular server license. Failure to purchase proper licensing can cost your business big time should you ever be audited by the SPA.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Well gee, guys, I didn't mean to drop anything in your cornflakes.

I am fully aware of Microsoft's Licensing agreements.

I read EULAs like some folks read the bible.

I find both equally informative. :)

Thank you for your support.

Paul Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back