Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Project & Sharepoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

venetianjigsaw

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US
We have multiple project listings (from Sharepoint), spreadsheets and project plans that we are trying to combine into a master project plan. Realizing that SQL Server and data mapping might be required, does anyone have an idea how we can reduce the duplicity? What our optimal scenario would be is that for any project related matter, we somehow have allow the user to enter their project in the Sharepoint site and it then gets entered into MS Project...BTW, we are running Project Server 2007 and it is also contained in a Sharepoint portal. One common thread for all three of these tools: XLS based and maybe that is the starting point. Additionally, SQL may also be another common thread as well (w/ the exception of Excel and that is unless we allow exports to SQL Server, which would be highly unlikely since we are talking production data).

Hope this makes sense to the masses...would hate to confuse on my initial post from what appears, at first glance, to be a really intelligent user community!

v_j

I may not understand what you are trying to achieve, but if it were me, I would move all the SharePoint and Excel "projects" to Microsoft Project and then publish them to the Project Server. You can then use the power of Project Server for reporting. Example: Leverage Project Center to list all projects, group and filter as desired. Leverage Resource Center to see who is working on what and when. Leverage Data Analysis for more advanced reporting.

And if you truly need a Master Project, you can now pull all these MS Project files into a Master Project and Publish it to the server as well.

Hope this helps! If I am missing something in the big picture, please expound.

JBlack

I agree that it is a good idea to convert all the projects into Microsoft project plans. The product that has worked well for me is called ValleySpeak Project Server from
I went through a similar experience of converting all my disparate project formats into a common MS Project format and then importing my files into valleyspeak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back