Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS PPTP VPN and AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javamahn

Technical User
Mar 14, 2001
US
I know this horse has been beaten to death, I am wondering if there is a known issue using AOL as the internet provider when trying to connect to a Microsoft PPTP VPN. All of my AOL users are having problems. Any ideas? Some of my users are using AOL 7.0 and some have 8.0.

I can't tell you of any issues that I know of, but I've heard of a lot of problems with AOL. Find a service provider that's cheap and have an AOL user connect via that provider and see what happens or if you have the number of a valid dial-up, use that as a test. Went to a clients house because they couldn't connect to the internet using AOL. After testing the modem, I contacted AOL tech support. (I know, it's an oxymoron.) After 3 hours of dealing with them, they asked me what town I was in. When I told them they told me they had only one of five lines working in this town.

[hammer] Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

I've had lots of problems with AOL and VPNs before. I couldn't get a VPN connection usinjg AOL or even with it installed. I think the reason why is when you are connectiong to AOL it uses it's own "VPN" adapter and you're basically establishing a VPN connection between your computer and AOL. There might be a work around, but I never could get it to connect. Walk softly and carry a big stick; you'll go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

If I connect to my network using my vpn, and I try and use ANY home networking to get on the network, my VPN shuts me down for security. Might be the same with aol. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back